The "Vic" Ballroom Late 50's early 60's

We did ballroom dancing lessons in some of the games periods at Long Eaton Grammar School. Richard Guise, who was at LEGS around the same time as me wrote a book entitled "Lead us not into Trent station" and his highly entertaining description of the dancing lesson can be read here http://www.legsreunited.org.uk/trentstation-detail.html

• Upvote 1

Used to visit the Vic on a Friday lunchtime (record session) in 1960 from the `Tech' Came across a bloke who I had started school with in September 1945. He used to fight with everyone. A real tough little b.....d. He went on to Becket but got `transferred' out and came to Mundella. I met him again at the Vic in the 60`s and went to say hello but he was `guarded' by a really unpleasant couple of thugs who seemed to think I was about to offer some form of violence to him...fat chance! He ( Pete Coffee ) had been I believe been involved with the St. Anne`s race riots.as was another schoolmate John Hardy. So I can believe a chap was thrown over the balcony,the Vic was an explosive place in those days.

Johnny went on to become a well liked and respected member of society and when he died from acute asthma had a huge funeral from his many mates( I was in Australia so missed it). Never did know what happened to Pete though.