Every Autumn as the Chestnut Trees start to drop their fruits to the ground, without fail it always baffles me as to the words of this Rhyme.'Nuts In May'.

Now i have my favorite toy, (my Laptop) most answers are only the press of a key away. So after all these years of wondering, which nuts fall in May, here it is from Wikipedia.

"Nuts in May" was first recorded by Alice Gomme in the 'Traditional Games Of England, Scotland And Ireland. Nuts are not gathered in England in May however, 'Conopodium Magus' commonly called, Pignut, Groundnut etc, would be in season in May!

This was commonly gathered by children as it grows under ground and is sparse, meaning that it was not a viable food source to be gathered in quantity by adults. It is also possible that the lyrics could be a corruption of "Knots of May" referring to the common Hawthorn.

There you are, All you Grand Parents, you now know what you are singing about!. smile2

• Upvote 1