Primary school.

My parents became £10 poms and took the family to Australia from Beeston where I was born. Some years later we returned and eventually we were given a miners house on Phoenix avenue in Gedling. I attended Westdale lane school for the one term and then was transferred to Priory Road school until I took the eleven-plus and left for a time at Eastwood Sec Tech and then Country High. However, having attended schools in Australia and on ships and then varying places within Notts I cannot remember any ones name other than two people. The first was a guy called Fred Dabell from Beeston and the second was a girl who attended Priory road when I was there. The reason I mention her name is that she was different. She either didn't or couldn't mix with other people and she had vivid red hair that was mostly in long pigtails. It wasn't until many years later and being stuck on top of a barren rock in an area called Radfan that I recalled her and the reason for remembering her. It was that even then she was an outstanding girl. She had a presence about her that made her different. She was also extremely clever in everything she ever did. I can clearly recall her having a gift with words and an ability to put them down on paper in a very talented way. I would love to know how she succeeded in her later life and if indeed she ever made her talents and abilities work for her as an adult. Its a silly thing I know and I am well aware that she would not remember me and even if she did she would shun the thought of the little thug who plagued her.

It wasn't until many years later and being stuck on top of a barren rock in an area called Radfan

Now those words conjure up some memories - Radfan and Barren Rocks.

Though more of a desert person myself. Did lots of casevac's with the RAF in that neck of the woods.

You must have been based in Khormakser then. I was out in Little Aden behind the refinery. The first few weeks I had difficulty in sleeping due to the noise of the air-con and the light from the burning-off of the waste fumes from the refinery.

I did enjoy my time (mostly) up-country as there was a strange beauty about those mountains.

• 5 months later...