The Worlds only Blenheim Mk1 takes to the skies yesterday.

For you aviation types, the only Mk1 Blenheim in the world had it's first test flight from Duxford yesterday afternoon, this is probably the first time that one has flown since the early part of WW2.

Based on a Canadian built Bolingbroke airframe, it first flew after a 12 year rebuild as a MkIV in 1987, crashing at Denham after only a few weeks in the air. After another 5 year rebuild, it emerged at DX in 92, only to succomb to a landing accident there in 2003. An original Mk1 nose was found in use as a caravan and used as a partial rebuild and template, it's taken 11 years to get to this stage.

I'm reporting this on here as my old man's cousin Noel from Wollaton, who's DFC award I published on here recently, first went on ops flying Blenheim's, a dangerous job it was too. I mention this therefore as a tribute to him and no doubt to other aircrew from Nottingham, I bet they would never have believed in those dark days that a Mk1 Blenheim would have emerged to fly in the 21st Century. The big Battle of Britain 75th anniversary airshows planned for next year will now have an unsung hero to take part, Blenheim's were used to bomb German invasion barges and act as long range day and night fighters, it wasn't just all about Spitfires and Hurricanes.

• Upvote 3

Rog, look on Flypast Forum Historic, some lovely pics of it on there flying into the sunset yesterday, coupled with the Lysander and 2 Gladiators next year those five Bristol Mercury engines should sound like clockwork.