A Walk on the Wild and Hidden Side

If anyone is interested as part of my latest research for my upcoming blog post I will be exploring the Tinkers Leen and the hidden section of Nottingham railway station this Saturday.

If anyone wishes to join me then feel feel to meet up with me at noon on Saturday 21st February at the entrance to Platform Seven Nottingham Railway Station adjacent to the car park off Queens Road.

I worked as a shunter at Nottingham Carriage Sidings from 180 until 1985 when I transferred to Derby. Occasionally I had to help at the station on nights and it was interesting to explore. Like the old barber's shop on platforms 4 and 5. Platform 6 was disused at that time and the line was the up goods line. The huge open car park was the site of the up and down goods; and between those and Queen's Drive was sidings for a wood firm, I think it was Nixon and Knowles. Did you know the upper floor of the buildings between platforms 1 and 3 were the lodgings for the restaurant staff.

I remember the train crews used to relieve up freight at signal TT 252 on the up goods near the canal. One night two crews were in the ferry drivers cabin at London Road Junction. They were to relieve two oil tank trains. The first was going from the Humber to London Airport for fueling aircraft, the other, following right behind was going to somewhere in the Wirral. Trouble was, the two crews got on the wrong trains. They didn't find out until they arrived at Trent Junction and noticed the route was set for Derby instead of Leicester. The problem was, the line their was using a modern system based on the old Absolute block system meaning only one train in section so the signalman couldn't draw the second train behind the other. There was all hell broke loose about that. The goods line behind Nottingham Carriage Sidings used a system based on the old Permissive Block which allowed several goods trains to queue at the same signal.

Tinkers Leen is behind the old warehouses on Queen Street and flows near the main line just outside Nottingham (Midland) station.

I loved exploring around there when I could escape from duty for a few minutes. Always been a nosey B. If I can make it I will join you.

• Upvote 1