This season's hops

The hops have done well in my polytunnel this year. Does anyone recall the Hardy Hanson's hop logo? I used to think it was a pineapple when I was a kid :)

IMG_4099.JPG

I'm looking into growing hops next year, found several sources for them, none shipping until the spring of next year.

You probably know all of this already but when you plant them bear in mind:

1. They are heavy feeders

2. Their root system extends for a very long way.

3. They are "bines" (a long, flexible stem of a climbing plant, especially the hop) and will grow very long. It is normal to train them up wires to ease space congestion.

4. Seedless hops are stronger in smell and flavour than seeded ones. So if you want strength go for all females.

5. They die back each autumn and will regrow from the base each spring.

6. Pick your hops when they begin to feel papery and contain a lot of yellow pollen.

I feed mine on horse sh1t each winter or early spring, depending upon the weather. Since they are in a polytunnel and grow with other things, I root prune them every other year in order to keep them in check.

I knew they were grown from rhizomes, like flags etc. I have a lot to learn about them yet, but will be getting a couple of varieties, "Goldings" being one. Might end up sell the Rhizomes and make a bob or two on the side...LOL

I'm also looking into growing my own Barley for malting, have an idea for a barley roaster for the top of the woodstove. I'll obviously be needing a "grister" for the roasted barley.

Then look forward to real cheap beer......LOL

Sounds like you have it all worked out :) Goldings carieties are good all-round general purpose hops.