Annesley-and-Newstead-Collieries 1921

Just up the road from Linby, wasn't Newstead in the NCB number 4 area, North Notts anyone?

Didn't Newstead come under Eastwood, No 5? Area??????

IIRC, No 1 Area was Duckmanton (Derbys), No 2 Area Bolsover, No 4 Area was Edwinstowe, No 5 Area was Eastwood, No 6 Area was Bestwood, No 7 Area was Coleorton (Leics)

The No 6 Area pits were:

Calverton, Gedling, Hucknall 1&2, Linby, Cinderhill/Babbington, Clifton, Radford & Wollaton, Bestwood and Cotgrave.

Cheers

Robt P.

Didn't Newstead come under Eastwood, No 5? Area??????

IIRC, No 1 Area was Duckmanton (Derbys), No 2 Area Bolsover, No 4 Area was Edwinstowe, No 5 Area was Eastwood, No 6 Area was Bestwood, No 7 Area was Coleorton (Leics)

The No 6 Area pits were:

Calverton, Gedling, Hucknall 1&2, Linby, Cinderhill/Babbington, Clifton, Radford & Wollaton, Bestwood and Cotgrave.

Cheers

Robt P.

Not sure Rob, thats why I put a question mark behind it.

Yep, I did my surface/underground and advanced apprentice training at Hucknall number 1 pit. It still had the old grate used to "furnace ventilate" it when I did my underground training there. I believe the furnace was still used into the early 1950's!

My old pit, Clifton, still had the Waddle steam fan, though not in use, but the brick housing was still in place! What a lot of history pulled down and lost forever!

When I did my U/G training, we had two trips to Bestwood, where I recall being shown the portal of the Lancaster Drift! I still recall looking down the well lit road. We were taken to the T/G of the lowest face at Bestwood too, but were'nt allowed on it, I think it was around 20 inches or less in height.

Although, a well "weighted" 36 inch high face isn't to be sniffed at when you have to drag a heavy toolbag the length of it! I used to shorten the strap on the bag and hook it round my neck!

I am sure that it was either Annesly or Newstead that Our careers teacher (Spungin) from Trent Bridge took us down in 1967-8?

What's this Furnace ventillation?

I am sure that it was either Annesly or Newstead that Our careers teacher (Spungin) from Trent Bridge took us down in 1967-8?

What's this Furnace ventillation?

I wonder if thats the same Spungin that taught me and two of my Uncles at Huntingdon Stree Mick. Short chubby bloke with glasses and Jewish?

I think his Christian name was Joe, but been a long time ago now. He used to teach us goegraphy and a couple of other subjects. He's sit at his desk and do some "wood burning". He was an artist.

A grate furnace was an inset at the top of the shaft usually where they would light a fire, hot air rises so draws the air out of the pit. Had it's drawbacks though!! Especially if there was a lot of methane in the air it drew out of the pit..