Daniel Kirk 1805-1860 - gardener

Hello,

I have joined this forum in the hope that I can find more information on my ancestor Daniel Kirk. All I know is that he was a gardener in Daybrook. I found an article in the Nottinghamshire Guardian of 20.10.1853 where he is mentioned as being employed by ..... Elliott Esq. of Daybrook.

Mr Elliott must have had a large property or been a wealthy man as he employed a gardener. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Jane

On looking through historical newspapers I did find a Thomas Elliott born ca. 1797who was a cotton merchant and lived in Daybrook Vale. In the 1861 Census he is stated as a lace thread manufacturer employing 350 persons. I think he also owned a farm.

Whether he employed Daniel Kirk is not known.

Jane, this might make some sense depending on whether you are familiar with Nottingham and its suburbs.

This is Daybrook Vale in the 1870s-ish. There is a House, Farm, Nurseries, and Lodge all connected to the name. Presumably these were the property of Mr Elliott.

vale_zpsflyfoldp.jpg

On a modern map, the road going almost north-south up the middle is Edwards Lane. The place marked Infirmary & Workhouse is now the City Hospital.

• Upvote 1