Berry time again.

It's berry time in the gardens and hedgerows folks. Blackberries are still a few weeks away but Rowans are now ripe for making Rowan jelly.

IMG_7398

IMG_7396

• Upvote 2

I usually leave rowan until October, the berries are best when going a bit wrinkly, too bitter at the moment.

Got a few wild raspberries and a start on some blackberries. Hoping to make a Clumber Hedgerow Jelly this year using whatever I can get from the woods. Have to say the Elderflower was especially good so have high hopes for the Elderberries this year.

• Upvote 1

None of my flowers set into berries on the elders this year. Checked the Rowans again and as you rightly say, they are not quite ready yet but not far off.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

I'd not seen many blackbirds in my garden recently, but with this last couple of days being much colder, my rowan tree has been inundated with them. Brilliant. It just shows that there is much to enjoy in the garden even in winter. 

• Upvote 1

I have a Rosa rugosa hedge.  The hips on it are massive and the birds simply love them.  I always leave the hedge until the hips have been eaten by the birds and then do my hedge trimming bit.  It only needs cutting once per year so I do it in November.

• Upvote 2