A potted history of QMC - 40th anniversary

A Potted History of QMC - 40th Anniversary

Tuesday 24 January, D Floor Restaurant QMC. 4.30pm - 6pm.

2017 is the 40th Anniversary of Nottingham’s Queen’s Medical Centre. As a teaching hospital and medical school it was first conceived in 1965 when a decision was made in parliament to establish the first medical school in the 20th century outside London. As a consequence, establishing the QMC was for those who were its creators, no easy task, and for many years they had to fight off stiff competition from those who were against its construction.

For the first time members of NUH have the opportunity to come to an illustrated talk, to be given by Paul R. Swift, Honorary Archivist of our hospitals. Paul will talk you though how the QMC’s creators managed to fight off those who were against its construction, and how the QMC has become one of the world’s leading teaching hospitals in research and medical innovation.

This event is kindly sponsored by The League of Friends QMC.

If you haven't already confirmed your place please register by emailing ft@nuh.nhs.uk or calling 0115 9249924 x63953.

The main thing I remember about the building of the QMC was the UCATT strike in 1972.

I was working at a small school (wooden Building?) across the ring road from the site replacing the boiler. One morning I was approached by two guys and told I would have to stop work, told mind NOT asked as they were all on strike.

An approach by myself 24" Stilsons in hand and they left me and the apprentice to carry on in peace.