Welcome Anne & Jean

Great to see you have registered. Look forward to your memories,I know you'll keep us amused.

Cazza

The last post was from my sis, she lives in Lincs,I think she should

definately be considered an Expat don't you guys??

Caz

Hi Caz and Smithylass..> Hiya Caz un thanks for the warm welcome.

> ok then...my name's Anne and I used to live at Aspley.

> I've lived half my life in Nottingham and tother half in Ontario

Canada and the temperature is below zero.

> (where by the way..it's snowing like mad outside right now)

> I'm married and have a son and daughter both married and now have

twin

> Grandsons who are almost 3.

> I love anything to do with Nottingham..the past the present or the

> future.

> I'm a bit sad right now cos they've closed me owd Wm Crane

School...un

> pulled down the picture ouse the Aspley/Commodore where I used to

watch the

> Saturday matinees.

> Un now (sob sob) they've commited the biggest crime of all..they've

> closed and are going to demolish The Cocked Hat.

> I know thousand of people.mostly men..who are as I type this..turning

over

> in their graves..my Dad being one of them :-)

Anne

Hi Anne,

I recall in an email you said you went to William Crane School in Aspley, what year did you leave ? I think a rellie of my partners went there too,she definately had a connection with Aspley. Also, when did you go to Canada ?

Caz

:rolleyes:

Hi, I see Anne from Aspley is on here so I thought I'd put my two pennorth in! Hi Anne!!

My name is Judith and I live in Beautiful British Columbia, Canada. I grew up on Whitemore Estate and then on Bells Lane Estate, Cinderhill, not far from where Anne used to live. Had a boyfriend who lived on Wilford Crescent East in the Meadows so I spent a lot of time in that area. Went to the Tudor Picture House in West Bridgford a lot.

I went to Whitemoor School and then Guilford Girls' School. Came to Canada in 1956 at the age of 18 (now you all know my age) with my parents and three brothers. We came straight to British Columbia and I have lived here ever since. I am married to Martin who is Canadian born and bred and a real good bloke! We've been married forty six years and I think I might give him another twenty five years if he be-aves issen!!

We have three offspring (can't call em children anymore.) A forty three year old son, a forty one year old son and a thirty seven year old daughter and three lovely grandchildren ages 7,6 and 5.

Go back to Nottm about every two years and love seeing it all even if it has changed. Have good memories of growing up there.

Ta ra for now, Judith :)

Hiya Judith and Caz..I've just found your messages on ere..corse ya ad tu follow me din't ya..can't gerraway frum ya no ow, even if I wanted to arr Judith.

I've bin proper poorly so avent bin on me computer for a while..but am ok naa.

Caz..I left the Wm Crane School in 1945 and went to work on the post desk at Wm Dixon's in Hounds Gate facing St Peter's Church.

I came to Ontario Canada on March 8th 1971 and I have never been so cold in all my life.

I thought I'd broughtmy family to the Arctic Circle.

I'd left Spring behind in England..you know..lambs in the fields..blossom on the trees and daffodils and tulips in flower..I felt like staying on the plane and going straight back home.

Anne

Hello Anne,

Sorry to hear you have been sick, hope you are feeling better now :D

It was funny reading your memories of arriving in Canada, I felt totally the opposite,we landed in Perth Western Australia,& I thought I was in paradise,lovely & warm[it was November] palm trees,massive highways,blue skies,beautiful beaches,it took me 6 months to get anything done!! Still feel the same even though I am now on the other side of the country. I know what you mean though, I'm not a whinger but I did miss the bacon & the sausages when I first left Nottm, but I'm used to the ozzie stuff,& look forward to having the things we miss when we go back,[about every 2 yrs]

The girl I mentioned in my last post is called Christine Jones she went to William Crane too, do you know of her at all?

Caz

Hi Caz,

You know the name Christine Jones does ring a bell, but I can't put a face to her name right now..I'll have to search the archives of my jumbled up memory and if I come up with something I'll let you know.

I think if I had come out of the airport and found palm trees and sandy beaches I would have thought I'd died and gone to heaven LOL.

It actually took 6 more weeks before the glorious spring arrived here.

That year I enjoyed 2 springs. I know now that we are 6 weeks behind England in our seasons, but we do get 4 definate seasons and my favourite is the Fall which is glorious with all it's beautiful reds and golds and yellows.

My friend came over to stay last month from Nottingham and she brought me one thing I couldn't get here..Thorntons Treacle Toffee.

I'm having a piece a day and hope it last forever...and I'm not sharing!

TTFN

Anne from Aspley

Hello Anne,

Checked with Christine Jones today,apparently your ages are different,she wasn't even born in 45 :huh: !!! But I was asked if you knew the Kind family from Aspley at all??

Caz

Hi Caz, sorry I don't know the Kind family from Aspley.

I lived there all my life until I got married though and can say that I knew almost all the people on the Estate by then.

My Dad lived there until he died at the age of 96.

We used to live at 20, Maltby Close off Harwill Crescent and if I walked down Harwill to Hilcot Drive and then down Melbourne Road, I'd come onto Nuthall Road where the Aspley/Commodore was.

I remember Newbolds the beer off and Stansby's the Chemists and the greatest fish and chip shop in Nottingham, they made the best battered sausage in the world.

TTFN

Anne from Aspley