Hi, 

I recently walked around thurgarton and near the priory up a narrow country lane, there is a building on the right which has high barbed wire fencing and bollards and hedges next to very dense trees so you cannot see anything.

I heard many years ago that this was Boot’s old animal testing laboratories. (Horrid I know) obviously they no longer conduct this kind of testing but this place always gives me the creeps, i walk past often and I have never seen any movement around it at all... yet the hedges are amaculate and it all seems very “well kept” but vacated at the same time. 

Does anyone know who owns the buildings now and what they’re used for? 

Cheers, 

• Like 1

I knew the Boots Thurgarton site well as the man in charge, Prof. Bob Harrison was a family friend and I’ve been round many times but even I, as a friend, was not allowed into the R91 building where they did the animal testing - smoking beagles and monkeys - allegedly. He kept tight lipped about that and the staff had to sign declarations of secrecy!

The Boots farm was sold to the Thoresby Estates some years ago and the Priory is now a private residence.The R91 building was sold  and is now a ‘reserve electricity generating station’. It’s a totally unmanned, fully automatic setup consisting of 4 electricity generators powered by piped natural gas. The idea is for it to start up automatically when there are extra demands on the National Grid. They are many of these around the country but are not well publicised. I’m not revealing any secrets. The planning application is available on the Newark and Sherwood District Council website under ‘planning’. Look it up under ‘Priory Lane Thurgarton’ and you can see the full drawings and the application.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Wow thank you philmayfield for your excellent reply, I had no idea about the national grid back up station so that would explain it’s still tight security.. once again thank you you’ve answered a question i’ve always pondered :) 

• Upvote 1