Junior reading material

For me it was Bunty Judy and Diana. My brother had Dandy Beno and Topper. My mum brought them all till well after I was married as by then my young nieces and nephews were reading them she also always brought us the anuals .I would still read them when I went to see her but she also enjoyed reading them if the truth be known but she always had a paper or a book in her hand and was always at carlton libary. theres a book about old carlton and in it is a picture of an old lady reading a news paper you carnt see her face but its the clothes she used to wear.

Just as a matter of interest when I was in Dundee last year there are some statues of Desperate Dan,Mini minx and someone else I can't remember in the middle of town, does anyone know the significance of them?

Rog

I have absolutely no idea how I missed this topic last time around, (I wasn't a member first time!!) sorry for the delay Rog!!!

The Dandy and Beano were published in Dundee by D C Thomson. IMMSC the statue was erected in honour of the 60th anniversary of the first copies being printed. Dundee being famous for the "3 J's". Journalism, Jam and Jute.

My comics of choice were the Beano later on I had Knockout, then Whizzer and Chips. Whilst working at Raleigh as late teenagers, for a laugh, we joined the "Dennis the Menace Fan Club" (And "Gnashers Fang Club", Gnish, Gnash, Gnoosh!!) and "The Destperate Dan Pie Eaters Club"!! Little things eh??

(Latterly it became Viz!!)

Ayup Mick,

Eagle comic featured a guy on the front sheet called Dan Dare, in the top left corner was a red background with a picture of a flying eagle on it. Center pages were always devoted to an exploded diagram of some technological fete, very informative.

Can't think of any of the other characters who were in it at the moment. It was printed on thin glossy paper if memory serves me right.

Rog

Two more characters were 'Tommy Walls' and 'Harris Tweed'.

Mentioned in posts 14 and 24 above!!!..........................cheers.gif

I remember reading a comic in the 60's that had a young version of Andy Cap?

I have no idea of the characters name or the comic?