#10 - is it East Bridgeford?

If so, BIG GROAN from this side of the pond - and a VERY obscure reference!

Last gasp guess:

#7: DUNKIRK?

That would make it Gunthorpe!

10 Staythorpe

Very sorry to you both......

Admist the flurry of posts I missed Kath's Staythorpe...which is correct!

Apologies.

Cheers

Robt P.

Here I am, back again after a day out. I've had to wait all day to see what the answers were. Forehead duly slapped, Dunkirk, whodathunkit. I must admit my AA road atlas of GB does not have Dunkirk on it, [nor Aspley, Broxtowe etc either] so it's not as detailed as I thought it was. Glad I got at least one right though.

Hey Katy Dont tell Rob but Arnold was a complete and utter lucky guess I still can't work out how it works. I thought Bennet =Arnold as in Arnold Bennet the playwrite but where the sixth bit comes from I have no idea

;)

His stories were based on the 5 towns of the Stoke-on-Trent Potteries...

Stoke, Hanley, Burslem, Longton & Tunstall....for some reason he ignored Fenton.

Perhaps his most famous book was entitled 'Anna of the Five Towns'.

Enjoyable books they are too, 'The Card' being much recommended!

Cheers

Robt P.

Thanks for that Rob .Is that it now or shall I try and write some?

;)

Here I am, back again after a day out. I've had to wait all day to see what the answers were. Forehead duly slapped, Dunkirk, whodathunkit. I must admit my AA road atlas of GB does not have Dunkirk on it, [nor Aspley, Broxtowe etc either] so it's not as detailed as I thought it was. Glad I got at least one right though.

http://www.multimap.com/

Worth keeping as a 'favourite'.

Based on Ordnance Survey.....beats any atlas, except OS!

Cheers

Robt P.

post-29-1181482473_thumb.png

Thanks for that Rob .Is that it now or shall I try and write some?

;)

That's all my listed 50 used up....

Do have a go to devise your own....look forward to it.

Cheers

Robt P.

Next time I come over, I'll get a more detailed map of just Notts. I have the A-Z type street map of Nottm and Notts, which I find very handy, but its no good for looking up village names in a quiz!

By the by Rob, I'd like to do a cryptic quiz, but don't want to steal your game. Do you mind if I do one, then you could join in?

Next time I come over, I'll get a more detailed map of just Notts. I have the A-Z type street map of Nottm and Notts, which I find very handy, but its no good for looking up village names in a quiz!

By the by Rob, I'd like to do a cryptic quiz, but don't want to steal your game. Do you mind if I do one, then you could join in?

Might I suggest that the "one" to get, for City & County is 'Ordnance Survey Notts Street Atlas- complete county wide coverage'. ISBN 0 540 07541 8: 258 pages Every inch of city and county is mapped - even double pages of countryside only!

The multimap site is also first class, as you can zoom in and out at will....

Do have a go at your own list....reckon Ian also plans the same!

Not too difficult please, do remember I have the group's most addled brain :crazy:

Cheers

Robt P.

His stories were based on the 5 towns of the Stoke-on-Trent Potteries...

Stoke, Hanley, Burslem, Longton & Tunstall....for some reason he ignored Fenton.

Perhaps his most famous book was entitled 'Anna of the Five Towns'.

Enjoyable books they are too, 'The Card' being much recommended!

Cheers

Robt P.

That's cause "officially", Stoke-on-Trent is not one of the "five towns" - it is a city!

Amazing what trivia you learn going to North Staffs Poly (as it was) in Stoke-on-Trent!

According to the Potteries site, the 6 towns - including Stoke - combined together to form Stoke-on-Trent.

Bennett's Five Towns were Turnhill (Tunstall), Bursley (Burslem), Hanbridge (Hanley), Knype (Stoke), and Longshaw (Longton) ......with the 'forgotten town' being Fenton

Cheers

Robt P.