Robin Hood in the Detroit Free Press

Yep, the plight of the old oaks in Sherwood Forest actually made the Detroit Free Press today!

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article.../711070382/1009

Thanks for that, Eric, nice article.

There was a feature on ancient oaks generally on BBC's 'Autumn Watch' last night. It highlighted the great ages that they can live to and how they act as a community for so many other living things, such as insects, birds, bats and funghi. I think oaks are tremendous things - truly majestic. I note that a few words I wrote on my site about the Major Oak and Sherwood Forest are always amongst the most sort out by Googlers etc. That general interest maybe bodes well for its future. I'd like to think so.

It's interesting to see people's conception of Sherwood Forest. The report there was very factual and accurate I thought. What many don't appear to reealise is that Sherwood Forest was never a solid forest but was characterised by lots of clearings, one or two near Edwinstowe which are now considered of great significance.

I am so glad to see that there is a possiblity of the old forest receiving financial help towards it's long term preservation. It's something that make anyone with any affection at all for Nottinghamshire take heart.

All being well we will be visiting Edwinstowe and the Major Oak, on Sunday.SWMBO has never been there neither have the kids so it should be enjoyable with all those lovely colours at this time of year

It will be brilliant, mate. I've been up in Bestwood Country Park today and it was gorgeous. With such a prolonged and dry autumn the paths are full of crispy leaves that give that satisying rustle under your feet. It's just a lovely time in any deciduous forest right now and particularly this autumn. Hope you enjoy your visit.