Trains to London St Pancras from Midland Station

If anyone is going to London St Pancras on the 19:07 tonight, from Midland Station, be warned, you will need to catch the Skegness train to Grantham, which departs at 18:50, 17 minutes earlier than the original time.

Midland mainline are giving details about what to do if travelling from Nottingham, but not that you need to leave earlier, if you dont, you will be delayed by around an hour.

Hardly much different to the daily East Midlands rail chaos...

Midland Mainline & Central Trains have both lost their franchise, the 'service' now being provided by East Midlands Trains.

South from Grantham will arrive at Kings Cross, not St Pancras, and is now provided by NXEC instead of GNER.

Cheers

Robt P.

Something on the news at dinner about a driver being killed in south notts, when his train hit

a dislodged girder. That was the reason for the line being closed?

Anyone know any more.

Not killed, but seriously injured and taken to Leicester Royal Infirmary.

A Network Rail lorry accidentally dislodged a footbridge at Barrow-on-Soar around 0600 Friday, part of which encroached on the track. Despite an immediate 'traffic stop' warning being put in place, it was too late to stop the Brum-Norwich service from hitting the wreckage.

The EMT driver had both legs broken and a severe shoulder injury, but is "out of danger".

The reason for the divert highlighted by Craig's OP.

Cheers

Robt P.

Update:

My friend's son, who is a workmate of the driver, has spoken to him in hospital and "X rays reveal no fractures, merely badly bruised and shaken"...good news!

Cheers

Robt P.

Very good news that! Re the actual alteration to the timetable, my daughter got to Midland Station in time to catch the 18:50 to Grantham, to then be told there was a 20 minute delay, which, bearing in mind the train to London left Grantham 20 minutes after the original train that she was on gets into the station, meant she was then going to be late for the connection!

As it turned out, it was "only" delayed by 10 minutes, and she managed to make the connection, to then find no seats left at all !!!

Some thing to do with the line being electric so I was told (It's also a lot straighter)

• 9 years later...

I’ve not had a railway breakfast for over 30 years but I do remember them well. Bacon, kidneys, sausages served from a silver tray and toast with Cooper’s marmalade. Returning from London it was dinner on the train in the evening but I could never understand why they served soup as it used to slosh around dangerously with the motion of the train!

I only went on the sleeper once from Victoria Station to Edinburgh. It was 1962. I think it was a steam train. It departed at around 11pm on a Sunday. They seemed to shunt it around in York which wasn’t conducive  to a good night’s sleep. I recollect I was brought a digestive biscuit and a cup of tea at around 6 am. Not the best of journeys and then I had to change trains in Edinborough for Perth on the Monday morning. That was my first visit to Scotland. I always drive now!