The Hunt For Tinkers Leen ?

SPLIT from TOPIC - The Last Buildings On Arkwright Street

post-10-1104599157.jpg

I lived in the Meadders from about 1986 to 1991, I knew those shops well ! I can't remember what Medz used to be back then.

Further back in time, Arkwright Street was built in 1860, but to begin with the ground was level here, and that corner was actually a bridge over (I think it says) Tinker's Leen. In 1866 the road was built up to cross the railway on a viadut, but still with the Leen bridge - it's still shown on www.old-maps.co.uk in 1885.

Wasn't the building on the corner of Queen Street (centre of fourth photo) a disused bank ? I wonder if they knew there was a river in their basement :-)

post-10-1104602057.jpg

Welcome Leveret

Yes it was a Bank. Barclay's?

And Tinkers Leen, can be see emerging under London Road, walking down on the right, by Hickling & Pentacosts factory.

Tinkers Leen, a stream that runs underground to the River Trent. The towpath crosses a canal over-spill weir which runs into Tinkers Leen near the point where it disappears underground. The entrance into the underground channel can be see alongside the towpath while upstream the Leen runs parallel to the canal for a while. The land alongside Tinkers Leen is preserved for inner-city wild life. Further west (but still within Nottingham city centre) on the opposite bank is Castle Quay which now has new commercial buildings on it which face the canal.

From Canals & Waterways - Routes & Roots

boatlogo.jpg

1908, the Trustees of Trent Bridge Cricket Ground decided not to renew the club's lease when it expired in 1910. Forced to look elsewhere, the club moved rapidly to rent ground from the City Council on Meadow Lane and the new County was ready for the opening of the 1910/11 season. The stand at Trent Brtidge (that stood where the Taverners Stand is now) was dismantled and taken to the new site at the Meadow Lane end. A main stand and a cover for the side of the ground were built during the close season, to the design of architect Mr. Shepherd. Earth was dumped in order to form the kop. There was no County Road at this time; the Tinkers Leen flowed along behind the stand, and it is reported that a man was stationed on its banks with a net to fish the ball out when necessary.

(From Notts County Official Site )

Now if Tinkers Leen ran where County Road is now, It must hve crossed the canal? Strange :huh:

B) I have seen that over flow while riding along the canal tow path and wondered were it came out, never knew it flowed into Tinkers leen, never knew it was a Leen. Thanks Mick very useful info , next time i'm down their i will take a pic..... B)

post-10-1105955558_thumb.jpg

Now if Tinkers Leen ran where County Road is now, It must hve crossed the canal? Strange :huh:

the last place that the Leen can be seen is at the side of the old Hickings & Pentecost factory on London road as it heads for the canal which is just a few yards away, it flows at a fair rate of knots and never reaches the canal, so must disappear underground..

Eastcroft council yards are on the otherside of the canal, and I'm wondering whether or not it appears again somewhere over there.. and that would perhaps explain how it was able to flow down County road.. :huh:

ilko..

• 1 month later...

Is the Tinkers Leen the one that runs parallel with the canal at the back of the Revenue building on Castlemeadow ?? the creche they built there overlooks the canal, handy when the kids get rowdy !!

The Amenity block also overlooks the canal as well.

A :P

• 2 years later...