R.I.A.T. RAF Fairford Gloucestershire

I am going on the 12th July with an empty car (Apart from me of course) 4 spare seats , Any one else going and wants to hop in.? I know I am nowhere near Nott'm but we could meet up part way (Somewhere around Birmingham.)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic offer Beefsteak, but will be in Wales on holiday, This is what I miss being in Lincolnshire, the honest down to earth Notts folk

Rog

• 2 months later...

Just got the update on the aircraft appearing at this years Royal International Air Tattoo and we have not one ,not two , but three ,yes three F22 Raptors appearing now. Plus we also have that new Sentinel bird .(Could be why its hiding at Waddo) No word on the Vulcan yet (she's still pencilled in ) or that Orion. Sorry you are going to miss it Rog

web site for any one interested

http://www.airtattoo.com/

Ayup Beefsteak,

You lucky so and so, F22s, can't top that even if I wanted to, any way Orion went last week (Friday) both Sentinels back and five AWACS back home so still two wondering the planet somewhere, I have a couple of pics to send you, one a rare visitor, catch you later

Rog

ps, Enjoy your day at RIAT

Hope you get to take some pics like these mate.

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Picture5.jpg

Lots more where they came from - send me a personal e-mail and I'll forward the file

That is a great file of pictures Frank thank you.

The latest on the Vucan is they are still waiting to get the correct clearance (Still) but they remain hopefull

Hi Frank,

Very impressive set of pics there mate, I'm sure Beefsteak will agree with that, Ian , I heard yesterday from a member of the Vulcan society that it was up yesterday 24th for 1 1/2 hours but he didn't have any more info so it looks like it will perform at all this years shows

Cheers

Rog

Brill news

As I said the latest from RIAT was they were still waiting clearance, (Todays news on their site)

thanks for keeping us informed Rog

Ian

I heard yesterday from a member of the Vulcan society that it was up yesterday 24th for 1 1/2 hours but he didn't have any more info so it looks like it will perform at all this years shows

Not so...

Still awaiting CAA clearance following the display tests, which apparently can take a month or more...

An application for an interim display licence has been declined - never forget we are in BBB; Bureaucratic Bullshit Britain.

Seems the Vulcan to the Skies prime target was the RAF Cosford display, which has been and gone.

Cheers

Robt P.

Latest news on the RIAT site. The flying display has been extended by 1 1/2 hours (It now starts at 9.30am and ends at 6.30pm !!)

With a special treat on Saturday A 380 Airbus

Keep you informed

Hi Beefsteak,

Good news that the show's been extended, more time to see the aircraft, "I think if you get any more excited you will burst" News from today at Coningsby: BBMF went up about 11.45, some display on, Harvard buzzing around again, noisy little sod, plenty of Typhoons in the morning. Just had a VC 10 go over my place from Waddington, Ian, Enjoy your airshow. (is the B52 going to Fairford? it's coming to Waddington for their show)

Rog

Re B52 we have 2 , one flying and one static (Eat your heart out Waddo!!!!! smile2 )

The old ones are the best

I went to a shop and asked if he had helicopter flavour crisps. "No I only have plane" he said

From today's 'Vulcan to the Sky' website

Vulcan Saviour Gives Delta Wing a Prayer

Just as it seemed that the 15 years and £7 million spent to restore the world's only remaining Vulcan bomber to full serviceability would be in vain, a sponsor has come in at the 11th hour and given the project a temporary reprieve. Aerobytes Ltd., which supplies flight safety and fuel saving software to the aviation industry, has responded to the Vulcan to the Sky Trust's (VTST) pleas for financial assistance by swelling the coffers enough to ensure that the iconic aircraft will appear at this year's Waddington Internation Airshow (5th - 6th July), Royal International Air Tattoo at Fairford (12 – 13 July) and Farnborough International (14 – 20 July) airshows – subject to the UK CAA granting XH558 a Permit to Fly and a Display Authority certificate.

Despite her glorious return to flight last year and the successful completion of all test-flights required by the UK CAA, the major sponsorship required to secure the Vulcan's long-term future has not yet materialised. Thousands of supporters have consistently rallied to keep the project afloat, but despite their generosity, the money coming in has only been sufficient to keep the team ticking over.

If this situation had continued it would not have been possible for the Vulcan to appear at airshows and have the chance to attract the sponsor it so critically needs. The VTST was in a Catch 22 situation. Almost unthinkably, the project would have achieved its mission to restore XH558 to flight status and then subsequently had to close owing to a lack of funding before ever having flown her for the expectant public audience. Having come this far, the only airworthy Vulcan on the planet would have been grounded forever.

Then, in the Vulcan's darkest hour, Aerobytes came to the rescue. Managing Director Eddie Forrester has been a long-term sponsor of the Vulcan and simply couldn't bear to stand by and see her reduced to a museum novelty. Through donation and pledges for an undisclosed sum, Aerobytes has now provided the financial stability required to keep XH558 operational at least until the end of the summer. Aerobytes supplies Flight Safety (FDM/FOQA) and Fuel Saving software to nearly one hundred airlines worldwide and is considering the possibility of pledging a proportion of revenue from its Fuel Saving software to keep the Vulcan flying in future. Despite the apparently good news, Eddie was quick to point out that Aerobytes alone cannot save the Vulcan:

"Without our assistance, XH558 would not have the chance to fly this summer season, or potentially ever again. We are just one part of a devoted team of supporters though, and without continuing support from others funds will run out before September and there will be dire consequences. If there was ever a time to donate to the Vulcan, it is now."

"It's essential that a major sponsor is found in the next two months and that is one reason why we put up the money. XH558 must appear on the big stages of Fairford & Farnborough so that potential sponsors can realise the fantastic opportunity she represents as a publicity platform. It is one thing to see a photograph of a Vulcan, but something completely different to experience one for real. The size, shape, performance and noise are truly breathtaking. When she performs her 'first' display, nobody who witnesses it will talk about anything else for days."

"The other reason we wanted to support the Vulcan through summer 2008 was to ensure that the thousands of people who have really kept the project afloat - through individual, private donations over many years - are repaid for their faith and patience. They deserve to see her fly and to hear that awesome Vulcan howl once more. If nothing more comes of our donation than bringing happiness to our fellow supporters then it will have been money well spent. One of the most impressive facts about the Vulcan restoration is the high proportion of funding that came from individuals - as opposed to Lottery money or corporate sponsorship - something like 30%. That so many people have been prepared to donate so much over such a long time demonstrates the Vulcan's widespread, enduring and deeply felt popularity."

When asked why the Vulcan is so special, Eddie's reply comes back almost instantly:

"For a start, this aircraft represents one of the best pieces of engineering design ever created in the UK. Decades ahead of its time, the delta shape will be instantly familiar to anyone who has been privileged to see a Concorde. And, like Concorde, the Vulcan is quite 'vocal' as the two aircraft both use four almost identical Olympus engines. At full power the experience cannot possibly be described in words. Certain engine-speeds (typically during take-off) cause the intakes to resonate and the aircraft creates the most incredible howl - it would easily drown out a car alarm right next to you yet it is strangely calming at the same time. You never once think 'too loud', just 'wow...'. I have described it as the sound of the gates of Hell opening and given the aircraft's initial purpose (delivery of nuclear weapons) I suppose that's not an inappropriate choice of words...."

Cheers

Robt P.

Great news at last

thanks Rob (I did have a little bird out Lincolnshire way, whisper the possibility yesterday.,) but it's great to get it confirmed

Let's hope the CAA grant the display licence asap...

Mindful of the fact that these plonkers (to show their muscle) were originally insisting that the fully restored plane be painted overall black!

Cheers

Robt P.

Me and Mrs Frank will be out there on Sunday, hopefully with our ear plugs at the ready.

And me trusty camera of course.

Anyone else going??

Hi all,

Just been up the hill to Waddington and have seen the Vulcan XH558 according to my mate she got the go ahead from the CAA before leaving Bruntingthorpe today. Yes Frank I will be going to Waddo on Saturday, have been driving past though for the past week trying to get some pics but have seen just as much from my back garden, enjoy the show on Sunday

Rog

Last minute change of plans...........

Due to this morning's weather forecast, we are now going tomorrow (Saturday 5th July), as it's looks like it will be raining for some of the late afternoon on Saturday, but, Pi**ing it down all day on Sunday.

Good old British Weather - something you can always rely on :cool:

Ayup Frank,

Didn't know you were going on Sat until I got back from the show, It would have been nice to meet up for a chat.

Not a bad show though and it did brighten up in the afternoon, nice to see the Vulcan fly but can't help thinking she's lost that fire from her belly, more like a retired old lady now, which she is I suppose, what's your thought on that?

I am going to sit in my back garden now with binoculars,scope and scanner and watch todays show from here although as you predicted it's raining at the moment

Cheers

Rog

... nice to see the Vulcan fly but can't help thinking she's lost that fire from her belly, more like a retired old lady now, which she is I suppose....

Suggest that S/L Dave Thomas in the Captain's seat and not the - now retired - S/L Paul Millikin accounts for the restrained performance. See my previous post in the other Vulcan thread.

Cheers

Robt P.

Yes you are quite right Rob, the pilot was Sqd/Ldr Thomas, It was a nice display (emphasis on the word nice) and now she's in private hands with restricted funds it wouldn't do to thrash her

Rog