Post Offices closing down

A good Point, I would be lost without my little local Post office.

The government are trying to get pensioners to have their pensions

paid direct into the bank.

I think when this generation is replaced by more bank orientated

folks, it will hurry more to close!

Yes, clearly it was a long term objective to make individual PO's unprofitable by drastically reducing their 'cash over the counter' activity with older folk - thereby giving them less reason to visit...

Then viability becomes the main plank of the nationwide closure schemes...all very cynical.

The former British Railways became exceedingly adept at such stunts. They would reduce services on a certain route by shrinking the timetable and by introducing inferior passenger stock, to have the effect of detering travellers.

Throw in a few lies on the civil engineering state of the route...and a closure notice would rapidly follow.

Classic example was the famous Settle & Carlisle line where they insisted, over many years, that the major viaduct at Ribblehead was in a dangerous state. A thorough Ministry of Transport inspection proved the 130 year old viaduct was in magnificent condition, merely requiring superficial repointing - thus exposing the lie...the line thrives to this day.

All rather analogous of our beloved London gutter press, who create an artificial national crisis on some issue or other - such as the McCann case - simply in the hope of enhancing their sales!

Cheers

Robt P.

Though I am all in favor of Pensioners having Money in the bank instead of the bottom drawer.

Less opportunity for the Itinerant gangs that travel the country scamming old ladies.

One who knocks at the door, says they are from the water and they need to run the taps to clear the system.

Wherebye either an accomplice or the first man sneaks into the bedroom and searches for the cash.

All very viable too. SC*MBA9S!

And as for running down the rail service to deter customers, its still happening!

I arrived at Nottingham Midland at 8pm one saturday night, checked on the time of the last train back home, it was 9.40pm!

And on the occasions that I have taken an evening train in to Nottingham, the ticket office has been closed, and

No one has been aboard to check tickets or take payment.

Classic example was the famous Settle & Carlisle line where they insisted, over many years, that the major viaduct at Ribblehead was in a dangerous state. A thorough Ministry of Transport inspection proved the 130 year old viaduct was in magnificent condition, merely requiring superficial repointing - thus exposing the lie...the line thrives to this day.

Cheers

Robt P.

Probably the most beautiful railway journey in the U.K. (if not the world in my opinion)

Am I correct in thinking said viaduct was built by French (Napolionic) prisoners of was ,or am I mixing two stories up again (Cos the dates don't seem to fit to me)

Probably the most beautiful railway journey in the U.K. (if not the world in my opinion)

Am I correct in thinking said viaduct was built by French (Napolionic) prisoners of was ,or am I mixing two stories up again (Cos the dates don't seem to fit to me

Built by the infamous 'Irish Navvies' Ian, in the 1850's ...some years after the Napoleonic Wars.

The navvies lived in great squalor in tented villages on Batty Moss (across which the viaduct is built, and was its original name) and subject to the extreme High Pennine weather. I've stood beneath the viaduct in July and been just one notch above hypothermia!

Some superb pictures of the structure on:

http://www.visitcumbria.com/carlset/ribvia.htm

Agree... it has has to be the most scenic rail journey in the UK, perhaps with the Fort William-Kyle of Lochalsh route in second place.

Arguably, the world title would go to the Canadian Pacific journey through the Canadian Rockies.

Cheers

Robt P.

I would have agreed with you on the Fort William to Kyle of Lochalsh journey but it was really misty on the way up and pi**ed it down all the way back, on top of that we were on a 'steam special' and the weather pushed the smoke and steam straight down so we didn't get to see very much at all!!

As for the mighty C.P.R. I hope to do it one day when I have the money!