Wireless 'Remote' HDD ?!?!

I want to add an external HDD to my Acer desktop machine.

After a while I thought that I could set up a Wireless one,,,,,

I'd love to have the HDD away from the machine (in my case, in the attic - 5/7 feet above my desk).

Is this possible ?

None of my kit is wireless at the moment (i'd prefer to keep it that way - but realise that this would have to be altered to suit my quest)

I have a wired Voyager 220V router.

I had assumed that all I would need is:

HDD

Case (with wireless receiver)

wireless transmitter ?!

or

Bluetooth maybe ?????

any ideas please ?

Baz

Hi Baz

I am pretty sure that you can now get a wireless ready HDD unit but I could be wrong. If so that would be fairly simple. If not you would need to set up a network and share the drive or even set up a server. You would definately need to set up a wireless network and unless there is some reason for doing so seems like a lot of messing about if you havent got a wireless router at the moment. I have to say that the size of an external drive being not much bigger than a paperback and the ease of just plugging a usb lead in and the cost saving unless you have some desperate reason I would stick to a usb jobby. You could use a long usb lead if you wanted. If you want it in the loft would it be too difficlt to run a usb up there. I saw a 1 TB usb drive for about £90. Is it just more storage you want? Can't you just fit another drive in your tower.

Thanks Lets:

Fairly simple eh ? Like everything else - tis simple, if you know how - I don't.

To be truthful, I didn't think it was none existant or difficult to do,,,, but have come across similar terms to those that you use,,,,, which I don't understand - like Network / share etc.

If I wanted an external HDD near the machine, i'd go for an eSata set-up,,,,, a lot faster than USB,,,,,,

but I want it completely remote (for accounts etc). I only want it for text type files MS-Word, Excel etc,,,,, not bothered about photo / music storage.

thanks for the advice mate,,,,

Baz