Balloon Woods Flats/Railways

In the early 70's, Balloon Woods flats had been constructed but Wollaton Vale had not been linked up to Balloon Woods crossroads. Sometime during the early 70's, the railway was closed on a Sunday and the bridge was put in. It was a mammoth feat of engineering as you can see from my pictures, I can't recall the date though, but perhaps some of you were there to witness it and can remember the event.

bw1.jpg

bw2.jpg

bw3.jpg

bw5.jpg

bw6.jpg

Great pix....i was in Balloonwood flats mid 70s but it was all connected to wollaton vale by then ...nice to see the bridge being built and even nicer to see 'legoland' on the other side being built too. Did they remove the stone bridge then or do i just not remember it ???

I was living there at that time on Plantation road but unfortunately for this site wasn’t bothered to record it on celluloid.

Before the two sections of the Vale were joined I use to take my wife for driving lessons on the stretch that passed the flats and went no farther than the train bridge, I didn’t trust her on open road for quite a time it was for her safety and mine that I didn’t, you see there were no air bags at that time.

Bip.

The 'Stone Bridge', though built in brick, scene of many of our misdamenours, is still there, it used to be the meeting place of us 'Firbeckites', a blip in the famous black path, it was obviously too much trouble to take down, a relic of our inglorious past and a lovely reminder of things past.

I wish to forget reminding of the 4F and snowman interlude.

Still there.....sheesh i know i were stoned alot back then but how could i miss a bridge...used to go to a mates at legoland quite often too......I shall have to go back and get some pics...ive been meaning to go get some pix of the bridge further down in the woods as thas where i used to get clay from ( just under it ) ( was bl**dy heavy carrying it back to the flat too )....thanks fer that....also want to get pix of the lane going down to wollaton where we used to pass moor farm.

Just like to put a mistake of mine right.

In my first post on this thread I said I was living on Plantation road at the time of the construction of bridge where in fact I was married and living in Hucknall.

I took the wife for driving lesions up on the road that was mentioned while I was visiting me mum and dads.

Hope that makes things as clear as mud now, pity your post wasn’t as clear Firbeck…lol

Bip.