Loughborough Works Open Day 1961

This must have been a busy weekend, 3rd June 1961, this event, Hucknall Airshow and our regular Whit Tuesday trainspotting trip, which this particular year was at York, must have stretched the old mans budget to breaking point, only a couple of pictures I'm afraid, but nevertheless quite interesting ones.

They ran special trains from Vic, which unusually were hauled by a Stanier 2-6-4 tank with non corridor stock, funny how you remember such things.

At the time, Brush works were constructing what was to become D0280, Falcon, heres a picture of it in the erecting shop, I have more pics of it in service at Grantham and later on, behind the wire at Brush, waiting to be scrapped, if you are interested in seeing them I'll put them on here.

lough1.jpg

An interesting loco in the works was former LMS designed Bo-Bo 10800, a very unsucessful design, withdrawn, but used by Brush as a testbed for their engines before being scrapped in 72-73.

lough2.jpg

Sorry I haven't any more, but perhaps some of you were there that day.

Ayup firbeck,

Your picture of Falcon bought back a couple of memories, was it's sister engine called Kestrel? if so I had the pleasure of working for the chief fabrication engineer on that project, a guy called Frank Bexton, I think that engine was fitted with one center spot light and finished it's time off in Russia, perhaps you can confirm this or otherwise add to the story

Rog

Brilliant link there Littlebro, answered my question about Kestrel straight away, will enjoy reading the rest now, many thanks

Rog

Indeed a good read Littlebro, I didn't realise that 10800 had been renamed 'Hawk' by Brush. According to the website about Derby Open Days, which doesn't want to be accessed at the moment, it was languishing at Derby Works before going on to Loughborough and the date given as 1962 for it's arrival doesn't tally with my 1961 picture. Interesting to note that it looks very clean and ex-works condition for a loco that was pretty much a neglected failure.

Here are my pics of 'Falcon', the first one was taken on a very cold and wet February day in 1964 at Grantham, probably at half term school holidays. I'm assuming that it was the northbound Yorkshire Pullman.

falc1.jpg

This one must have been taken later in the day and been the returning London bound Yorkshire Pullman.

falc2.jpg

This one was taken through the fence at Loughborough Works when they were frantically building Class 47's, it says on the back of the picture Summer 1964, but I reckon it was actually a year later in 65, can anyone confirm that.

falc3.jpg

I don't ever remember seeing 'Kestrel' it probably went into service when steam finished and I had lost interest, I wonder if it was bugged before they sent it off to the Soviets.