As long as I can remember, there's always been talk of restoring this canal. I note that the restoration society was set up in 1969, but I seem to recall that moves were afoot to get it up and running again long before that.

I appreciate that there are difficulties restoring the original section from Gamston bridge to the Trent, but that question seems to have been argued about since I became interested in canals in the mid 60's.

Some very expensive schemes have been carried out involving new swing bridges, lock repairs etc, but over many years, it all seems a bit haphazard.

I had Yorkshire connections and what was done with the Huddersfield Canal in such a short period of time was fantastic. Bearing in mind the difficulties of having the Standedge Tunnel to cope with, let alone the multitude of locks and the fact that the canal had been wiped of the face of the earth in the centre of Slaithwaite town centre, the achievements of opening up this canal in the face of adversity in just a few years was amazing.

Yes it had local authority support, but they were cute enough to appreciate the tourist potential to the area.

The area traversed by the Grantham Canal is really attractive and I can see a great tourist potential for it as well.

Is anyone on here involved with the project and what is the state of play at the moment, or will the arguments over the Trent connection carry on for another 40 years, call it the Ganges and they'll get a massive grant, might have to deal with a few funeral pyres though.

Ayup Pete,

Just noticed this post, the New duelling of the A46 will run over what remains of the old canal and I don't think there are any plans to span it as such with a bridge, also what about Lady Bay where the canal is blocked off other than a small pipe, while the A52 near Gamston does go over the canal on the City bound road the outbound lanes are more or less level with the canal edges. I agree to open up this canal would have very good benefits for the city as well as Grantham and all the villages in between I can't for one minute see the city council even considering any sort of financial aid, as you say if it was the Ganges or some other third world waterway money would be thrown at it from all angles. It's just a shame that all those man hours (navvies) that went into building such a canal with nothing more than a few picks and shovels should be forgotten about.

Rog

If thats the case Rog, why have they spent so much money rebuilding swing bridges if it's a lost cause, what was the point.

Honestly, you should see what they've done with the Huddersfield canal, it had been completely obliterated through the middle of Slaithwaite town centre, the locals didn't want it restored, they were moaning and whingeing about it becoming a dumping ground for supermarket trollies. The result, it's like Venice, the place looks great and all the dying local shops have been given a lifleline through the passing tourist trade.

I noted that there's also a society committed to opening up the Cromford Canal, the state of the Butterley Tunnel is far worse than that of the Standedge tunnel and apart from the Bullbridge Aqueduct, large tracts have been wiped out between Golden Valley and Langley Mill basin.

You may be interested in this folks, I managed to find the site with interesting pics of the inside of Butterley tunnel, though it's now 30 years since these pictures were taken, whats it like now, I wonder.:-

http://www.cromfordcanal.org.uk/vcanal/tunnel.htm

There is also some talk of trying to restore the Derby canal that runs from the Derwent in Derby to the Erewash canal on the Sandiacre/Long Eaton border. Again much of it has been destroyed but they have already begun refurbishing locks and have a right-of-way to re-route the canal at Borrowash!

Ayup all,

I was walking along a stretch of the Cromford canal the other day, the aquaduct over the Derwent near the Leawood pump station is in very good condition and the powers that be are "doing up" the aquaduct further down near the Leawood rail tunnel, even further down towards Whatstandwell is the Lea tunnel which is also in good condition and looking navigable so who knows whats in store for the canal, it looks hopeful, It seems to me that Derbyshire go all out to preserve their past but Nottinghamshire just want to forget theirs, shame really because we had some great heritage

Rog