Guess the loco

Without giving to much away but i reckon i have already name the loco....picture was taken at Holyhead on Anglesey......? would that be Rob 6233 getting in on the picture?

Bip.

CopyofWales2009015.jpg

Bip you silly sod, you've given it away, 46233, Duchess of Sutherland, last saturday wasn't it, did you take the picture then, I'm impressed, are you now warming to steam locos, lets hope so.

Yes!

'Tis me...with my back to the loco, wearing my usual Saturday attire of shocking pink...

Good picture Dennis, were you raised on a crane?

Cheers

Robt P.

As one can see from the date on the picture it was last Saturday Pete…..

That particular picture was taken while I was sitting on the down side of a concrete road bridge the track runs under said bridge.

This one of said engine is taken from across the tracks on the road opposite, you can I think make out the wall I was sitting on to take the first picture it’s the arched wall.

I wish now I had gone on the station but tich was left in the van alone with Diezel for company.

I have always had a soft spot for trains, I use to train spot at the Victoria station as well as Midland station and at Crew too but I never turned into an anorak, girls distracted me from becoming one of those.

As a young lad I use to cycle down to Trowel where there is a metal foot bridge that spans the rails, its still there I believe, spent many a happy full day there breathing in all the fumes as a steamer passed under at full throttle.

Bip.

Wales2009009.jpg

Wales2009013.jpg

Wales2009010.jpg

Hi Bip, it would seem that romance has bought out a different side to the Bip we all know and love, stories of train spotting although not in any professional way and not wanting to leave your good lady on her own with Diezel for too long either, I have also noticed the spelling has improved in some of your recent post, Beatrice is certainly bringing the best out in you

Rog

I see she's changed her name since I saw her last year on her way north, wasn't she called " The Royal Scot" then ???

I'm in full agreement there Rog.

Bip, I also used to hang out at the Trowell footbridge and I know you lived near Firbeck School. I know that you're a bit older than me but you must have known Harps, Bergs and Stew Martin who must be about the same age as you, perhaps you knew Frostie as well, he lived just along Firbeck Road, his dad had been at Arnhem and always wore his claret parachute regiment cap whenever I went round their house, even in bed, I heard.

We must have bumped into each other sometime in those days, did you ever have the misfortune to come into contact with bully boy 'Bison' from Ilkeston who hung around Trowell Footbridge with his gang threatening everyone, well he did, until my brother paid him a visit, never saw him again after that, I don't know whether his body was ever found.

I see she's changed her name since I saw her last year on her way north, wasn't she called " The Royal Scot" then ???

Thats the name of the train, not the locomotive, I know it's confusing, but there is a difference, one's a set of coaches, the other is the given name to the loco.

I tried to find a picture of Trowell Footbridge, there were some on the net, but they were copyright.

Here are some then and nows taken off the bridge, how things have changed in 40 odd years.

Looking towards Trowell Station:

t1-1.jpg

trowell.jpg

Looking north from the bridge:

t3-1.jpg

trowell2.jpg

I recall about 35 years ago, they were setting up York Railway Museum and a cavalcade of exhibits were towed up through Trowell from London by a 'Peak', included in this was Mallard, various other steam locos and carriages, some on flatbed wagons. We were tipped off about this by my old man's mate who worked at Trent Power Box, we rushed off to Trowell footbridge and I got some great pics, unfortunately on colour slides, I'll have to make them accesible someday.