Steam Tour through Nottingham this Saturday.

Fyngers blue railway thingy reminded me of this. On Saturday 46233 is running from Sheffield to Kings Cross and return, here are the timings for those who might be interested:

Sheff 6:00

Chesterfield 6:15

Alfreton 6:30

Derby 7:30

Nottingham 8:05

Grantham 8:40

Kings X 11:30

Kings X 17:15

Grantham 20:15

Nottm 21:10

Derby 21:30

Alfreton 22:30

Chesterfield 22:45

Sheff 23:00

I'm astonished that it takes 3 hours to get from Grantham to Kings X and vice versa, I would have thought that a big powerful loco like that running at 70mph would do it in half the time, averaging just over 30mph down the ECML sounds a bit pedestrian to me.

I recall travelling on a steam special from Ely to Bishops Stortford pulled by A4 Union of South Africa. It was supposed to wait for the non stop electric train from Ely to Cambridge, but I was in the cab when the inspector appeared and said that they were going to run in front of it and 'Give it all you've got boys'.

They certainly did that, it was an awesome run, the chime whistle was sounded triumphantly at high speed all the way through Cambridge station, how that got clearance for that, I'll never know.

I'm astonished that it takes 3 hours to get from Grantham to Kings X and vice versa, I would have thought that a big powerful loco like that running at 70mph would do it in half the time, averaging just over 30mph down the ECML sounds a bit pedestrian to me.

Watering at Peterborough perhaps?

Likely to be running on the relief for most of the way, or being held in loops for overtakers.

IIRC. steam speed limit thereon is 60mph.

Sir Nigel will be rotating in his grave...

Passes within 30 yards of my bed at 08.14 approx, must arise by 08.11.

Cheers

Robt P.

Sir Nigel will be rotating in his grave...

Cheers

Robt P.

Sir William A Stanier methinks.

This speed limit stuff is incomprehensible, I thought it was 70mph but 80mph for Tornado because it was new, they did more than that in the past, why not now.

... they did more than that in the past, why not now...

Almost certainly edicts of Rail Safety Executive...

An Arriva driver, working the Derby/Bristol and Derby/Newcastle Cross-Country turns, told me recently that the interference they routinely receive from these unqualified QUANGO's - seemingly only wanting to prevail over the rail expert professionals - is, by far, the least enjoyable aspect of his work.

Apparently, today's average Nottingham-St Pancras timing is 8 minutes more than in 1906!

Cheers

Robt P.

It's pathetic when you think about it, they used to drag some run down Jubilee or Scot from Nottingham shed to run the prestigious 'Robin Hood' executive train down to St Pancras in 2 hours, but they won't let some pampered, lovingly cared for Coronation Pacific to attempt the run in anywhere near that time.

Was about three quarters of an hour late and my auto setting camera pic came out poor but still looked and sounded great, only spoilt by a lump of iron on it's tail! lots on the train too, if anyone can improve pics please do so Picture088.jpgPicture088.jpgPicture089.jpgPicture090.jpg

No lie in for you this morning Ashley.

I take it thats the bridge over the Trent at Radcliffe, I wonder why it's so late, probably crawling down Stoke Bank now, unless it's being allowed to make up time.

It's a mystery to me why some steam specials have a diesel stuck on the back, I know it's sometimes done for reversing, but in this case it's not neccessary, it's not a specific rule applied to the ECML either, something to do with train heating perhaps?

I woke up too late to go down to LE station, which is really a stone throw from me. The line is not far from my front bedroom window.

View blocked by two rows of houses. But I never heard a steam train so wonder which way it went?

No lie ins any morning! up 5 to 6 am most days, guess cause no longer working?

Yes it's the Victoria Bridge Radcliffe/Netherfield re the diesel, more likely they are expecting it to break down and it's there to tow it back! Sir Nigel Gresley didn't have such on trip to Lincoln last year

Get quite a few "strange" old diesels running light or 2/3 coupled no load down this line, probably thought of as back route and they use it to go to preserved lines etc? in 6 years though just one steam loco doing such, some GWR one last year, trouble is a bit anti climax, you hang about waiting then gone in a minute!

Best I can do for you Ash

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2650/4019698576_8121b8fe74_o.jpg

Not much better but it wasn't the best of shots to work with (Not enough light on the situation !!).....LOL

I gather that this was the Duchess's last mainline outing prior to the expiry of it's boiler certificate, no doubt the powers that be stuck a class 47 on the end in case the boiler blew up, at least it was crimson to match the coaches.

If you look on Youtube there's a film of it running through Attenborough including a sequence of it passing through the station at night.

I presume that the next Duchess we'll see will be Hamilton, restored to all it's 1930's streamlined glory in much secrecy at Tyseley, though I can't see it being given permission for mainline running in that guise, it's non PC, but imagine seeing that belting along with the yellow stripe painted along the matching crimson lake coaches, I'm thinking of the soon to be redundant Hogwarts stock here, even the anti-train brigade can't fail to be moved by the sight of that.

My inlaws are off on one of those trips next week ,(Orient express to Brighton I think, ) costs a small fortune!!

Struck me as a bit odd a destination !!!! But they are getting a tour of the Pavillion thrown in, (That looks a bit 'Oriental'!!!!)

The Orient Express trips from London are expensive and you don't usually even get the luxury of a steam loco on the front, it'll be some crappy modern class 67 diesel in the terrible EWS colours.

The Brighton Pavillions quite good though, worth seeing. Apart from that, it's a rusty burnt out pier and backs to the wall.

May sound daft to some people but I'd rather watch the 'Steamy' go past and ride behind a diesel, at least that way round you get to see the train in all it's glory.

It is full of pamperment (If there is such a word) loads of 'free' food and drink both ways, lunch on the way down and an evening meal on the way back up. Love to do it myself (I love being pampered me)

cheers.gif

May sound daft to some people but I'd rather watch the 'Steamy' go past and ride behind a diesel, at least that way round you get to see the train in all it's glory.

If you're just sitting on the train having your dinner and looking out the window I would agree with you, but there's nowt like hanging out the window near the front and getting your face covered in soot as your'e blasting along, though I expect H & S have sealed all the windows up these days so you can't look out.

I just think that at £310 a head that the passengers on the VSOE deserve more than a modern diesel on the front, it doesn't look or sound right.

Was talking to someone last night who went on the trip, on the thursday before he got a phone call to say it wasn't stopping at Nottingham in the morning as (his words) "no platform available" had to get a bus into Nottingham then board a charter one laid on by trip company that took passengers to Grantham where they boarded the train, wonder why none of local stations Radcliffe, Bingham etc used? Anyway that apart said a great trip, for those interested the water top up was at Peterborough via 2 fire engines, this weekend he's off over the Settle/Carlilse by steam, jammy git!

this weekend he's off over the Settle/Carlilse by steam, jammy git!

Pathetic.

Quite an odd coincidence this, just been speaking on the phone to my mates who live near Hellifield and they're off to see the engine change at the station on saturday, 46115 Scots Guardsman, powering the train from Hellifield to York via Carlisle and Durham, starting at Leicester, sounds a great trip, cherished memories of the Thames Clyde Express and Waverley, usually had a Scot or a Jube on the front.