Aviation and Nature day

We are hoping to get a trip up on Wednesday 18th November to do a bit of Aviation and see the Seal pups at "Donna Nook" on the Lincolnshire coast. Lunch will of course be taken at The Bluebell, so if we are going in numbers it would be good to inform them how much ham they will need for us !!!

Please let me know ASAP ta.

Ian

what's it got to do with you ?? you can't even read this topic without having a pop at somebody.

Well quite a lot actually, I am a contributor to this forum, perhaps some of you deserve being popped at, or perhaps this is going to be censored and removed for no reason apart from the fact that it upsets certain people who haven't got the where withall to defend their childish behaviour.

I gather that I'm not invited then, I'm gutted.

Pete, thats not a very nice thing to say to people who share your city of birth, every one is invited and whoever turns up will be treated to a warm welcome just like you were on the aviation day that you attended.I look forward to seeing all who turn up we have a lot in common, this site for one thing so please get back to what you are good at and that is submitting enjoyable and informative posts about our common interests mainly Nottingham, which I for one look forward to reading

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

Well here we are back in the land of the dry!!(And the awake)

I got out of bed at 4.30am and had a good long shower, after having been awake since 2.30am and not being able to get back off!! I then had a walk round to Tescos for some breakfast stuff for all and sundry.

Back at my mums for 5.30 and on with the pans for a good cold blocker, sausage and bacon sandwiches.!! Mick arrived at about 6.40am and I got the seats in the boot out for the first time since I bought the car , very suprised at how well she pulled with 6 of us in it !! we set off to Rog's arriving at 8.00am.

We headed straight for Donna Nook , fortunately we skirted Lincoln and avoided their rush hour , god there were some traffic queues heading in !! We arrived at Donna around 10.00am to be greated by Hurricane force winds and a slight drizzle, a quick wee for the kids (And my mum) wrap up nice and warm and it was off to see the Seal pups.

Unfortunately mother nature didn't want to play ball and she decided to dump her load on us, I am not kidding as everybody else will verify, 200 yards from the vehicles and we were all soaked to the skin (Literally) and feeling miserable. I managed two shots (No zoom used, this is how close they actually are !!) before the camera was soaked.

DonnaNook001.jpg

DonnaNook003.jpg

We decided enough was enough, and headed back to the cars to dry out !! this took some time!!! Coffee was calling so "The Petwood Hotel" was called upon (This is how bad the weather was , it took over an hour and a half to travel about 30 miles !!!)

DonnaNook006.jpg

DonnaNook007.jpg

We departed and had a quick stop off at Thorpe Camp to show the kids "The Lightning", it was only brief as we were booked in at "The Bluebell" for lunch at 1.00pm. 6 Lincolnshire "Ham and Eggs" and 2 Haddock and chips, 3 pints of "Speckled Hen" and 5 J2Os later and we were dry refreshed and ready to face the elements again!!

Just down the road and round a few corners was RAF Coningsby where we were greated to a two seat Harrier flying through as we arrived (No photos as it was all over too quick!!) We pulled into the viewing area in time for a "Typhoon" doing a 'Bump and Go' this was followed by a "King Air" doing the same. Thinking that was it we started to head around to 'The Lightning gate' before shooting straight back to the viewing area as more "Typhoons" approached.!!

A couple more photos (Not many as the light was really bad!) and I got my first of two "strobe" shots of the day!!

A nice wave from pilot and copilot for the kids and we then had a wander round to the other side , nothing happening apart from a great (But all to brief) view of a "Barn Owl " hunting along one of the very many drainage ditches in the area.

So back to the viewing area in time for more 'Typhie' landings, 'bump and goes' and 'fly throughs' before a quick nip to Crash gate 1 just in time to see a "Tornado" do a fly through More 'Typhie' bumps and a special treat of an "F-15 Eagle" giving a fast fly through. A couple more landings from the "Typhoons" (Including my second 'stobe' of the day ) and it was off to Waddington via the now defuncy RAF Metheringham airfield and war memorial.

My lad asked if he could see a helecopter and I said we may see one at Waddington but it was getting very dark as we arrived so I doubted it unfortunately. we parked in their viewing area and were just in time to watch a "Sentinel" ( Real "secret squirrel " stuff) get airbourne and dissapear into the gloom. We said our good byes to Rog and his good lady wife Rose , and were just about to leave when my little lads wishes came true and a "Chinook" helecopter arrived just in time to make a good day out into a great day !!!

I drove us back to my mums in Nott'm and after Mick departed I managed to grab half an hours shut eye before driving back to Cheshire, arriving home (Totaly tatered) at about 9.40pm.

Once again great day , great company , great nature, great aviation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

King Air

20091118_3250_edited-2.jpg

Typhoon and the first 'Strobe'

20091118_3262_edited-2.jpg

A wave or two

20091118_3266_edited-1.jpg

20091118_3268_edited-1.jpg

As good as it got weather wise

20091118_3269_edited-1.jpg

More to follow

Taxying away

20091118_3258_edited-1.jpg

F-15 "Eagle"

20091118_3279_edited-2.jpg

20091118_3282_edited-2.jpg

20091118_3283.jpg

My Second 'Strobe'

20091118_3286_edited-2.jpg

A landing "Typhie"

20091118_3315_edited-1.jpg

And Finally, an AWACs at a very gloomy Waddington !!!

20091118_3325_edited-1.jpg

As we all agreed , because it was a rather nice pint!!

Could have been worse , they had Green king on !! + 'Old Trip'

Just found out what that strage plane was that was circling at Donna Nook was, it was a Diamond DA42. There's a couple of them at Waddington for some secret squirrel assessments at the momentcheers.gif

Old Speckled Hen is another, devious, alternative name for Greene King, they make it at Bury St Edmunds, read the small print on the excesively priced bottles at your local supermarket. Having destroyed Morelands Brewery and put people out of work, it's all a con. I seem to recall some fantastic beers at the Bluebell, what happened to them, subtely removed I suppose by the GK Nazi party, don't drink their urine and we could destroy them and be back to appreciating real ale.

This Green King must be getting better as even I enjoyed it!

Nice to meet Mr&Mrs Plantfit and take the Lincs tour.

The lincs Ham was BEAUTIFUL.

Nice to meet Hotlegs or whatever his name was, A now lincs lad who enjoys the site.

Sorry for those like the Fyngers who could not make it, despite the rain and gales.

I was Cream Crackered! by the end of the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if you know Rog, but most lunch times for the past week or so has seen the Typhoon doing his display routine over CBY for some reason or another!!

Sorry Rog , I was given duff info!! Apparently it was earlier in the month, for a few days 'extra' practice for the Dubai airshow !!

Still no luck there yet firbeck.

On a totally different footing, we're having a very bright start to the day giving some great photographic oppertunities. Just snapped the Baluga on it's way North East (IE nowhere near Talouse or Hawarden !!) it was a good ways off but the light was that good I just had to snap it.

20091120_3326_edited-1.jpg

Followed by an A-321 Airbus on finals to Manchester

20091130_3345_edited-1.jpg

The moon was taken on friday afternoon, through a bit of cloud giving it a bit of an eirie feel to it ,no messing with it, just a little bit of a crop.

20091127_3351_edited-1.jpg