Wanderes Return?

This has probably been asked before, but it would be interesting to know if ex-pats and those now living outside Nottingham would return there to live. More interesting would be the reasons for their answers. As far as I am concerned, I would not. I left Nottingham to pursue a career in the RAF 1965, and though I have some fond memories of the city, where I still have friends and relations, nothing would induce me back to take up residence. Visits made over the years seem to prove what was once a city of character has declined into a sort of faceless university city, made even more bland by the building of shopping malls to replace fine old stores. I even had a discussion with (I think) the Sherrif of Nottingham about 'developing' Slab Square into it's present state. I never thought Nottingham particularly attractive. The people are certainly friendly but friendship can be found in most places. What do you think?

Certainly it would take a lot of $$$ to get me to move back (I came to the States in 1978), but if I won the lottery a cottage in Derbyshire within walking distance of a great pub is on the menu!

I still like Nottingham - and, surprisingly, so does Mary. Of the English cities we have visited, Nottingham is relatively compact (at least, the center), and easy to get around. She rates it as her favorite!

I miss the fishing in the Trent , nothing to compare to it round here, I'm too old to say I miss the night life , (I used to be a 'City Boy' , ie 6/7 nights a week in the city drinking or working!!!) There never seemed to be any trouble in my days down there!! I don't miss the shopping, as if I fancy a bit of retail therapy Chester is only 20 minutes drive away.

The only real thing I miss, is freinds and family that are still there, and they are only a 2 hour drive away. (God help me when I get to the wilds of Cornwall!!!!!