I don't know how far you are from Thurleigh, Bedfordshire Pete , but I've got a Notam for a Hunter having a bit of a play

H0101/10 - HUNTER ACFT WILL CONDUCT HIGH ENERGY MANOEUVRES WI 5NM RADIUS

5214N 00028W (BEDFORD THURLEIGH, BEDFORD) CTC 01522 730710.

AUS 10-01-0129/AS3. SFC - 5000FT AMSL, 27 JAN 12:00 2010 UNTIL 27 JAN 13:00

2010. CREATED: 19 JAN 12:08 2010

H0100/10 - 1 HUNTER ACFT WILL CONDUCT HIGH ENERGY MANOEUVRES WI 5NM RAD OF

5214N 00028W (THURLEIGH, BEDFORD) CTC 01522 730710.

AUS 10-01-0129/AS3. SFC - 5000FT AMSL, 26 JAN 12:00 2010 UNTIL 26 JAN 13:00

2010. CREATED: 19 JAN 12:06 2010

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that info Ian, it sounds a bit of a treat, I wonder what it's all about, why would anyone want to chuck a Hunter about in January in Beds, perhaps it's something to do with an imminent sale, do you know any more about it, for instance, where is it from, perhaps it's a new restoration jobby that needs a good blast.

Restored Hunters seem to have been the bees knees 10 years ago but they've dissapeared somewhat, they had a few at DX but they've all gone, as seems to be the case with many of these vintage jets. 10 years ago and you could be assured of formations of Vampires, Venoms, Hunters, the odd Canberra, et al, but not anymore, it was claimed that they were cheaper to operate than the average WW2 warbird, may be so, but I presume that they aren't such crowd pullers, perhaps a false premise, that rarely seen Sea Vixen is an amazing sight, though I'm a bit of a Cold War jet enthusiast, so I'm biased.

Thanks anyway, but Thurleigh is a long way from here, perhaps on the way home he'll scorch his friends at our local Rayne airstrip like that Venom pilot, I'll keep my batteries charged up and in camera for that day.

Cheers for that.

From what I can gather , it is actually based at Thurleigh. More info if I can get any

I thought you'd like this one, after writing that, I heard the sound of an Apache, so, I went out into the garden with my camera, the bloody thing came right overhead at low level and my batteries failed, yes, I went into one, I could hear the neighbours locking their doors as a consequence, sums up my life at the moment, unbelievable.

Apparently Qinetiq still have some enclave there, and it could be something to do with that (possibly hush hush..........rotfl.gif )

The Hunter will either be from Yeovileton or Scampton , that's the best I can come up with (For now)

I forgot about that lot, Hawker Hunter Aviation based at Scampton and hired out to the MoD, a mixture of former RAF and Swiss airframes I believe, I wouldn't be surprised if this is another one they're bringing back into service.

I heard that Quinteq had their Hawks taken off them due to an RAF shortage and were replaced by those crappy Alpha Jets, which in turn have proved unsatisfactory and that the MoD are incredibly embarresed at doing a U turn and taking on so called obsolete Hunters instead, which are superior in every way. They should never have got rid of the Royal Navy FRADU Hunters back in the 90's which performed the same role, more money peed up the wall!!

I remember a memorable Mildenhall Air Fete in the early 90's when the FRADU Hunters took on RN Sea Harriers in a low level dog fight, an amazing thing to see, weep, I have it all on video that I'm unable to watch due to format problems.

• 1 month later...

Yes the aviation season is more or less upon us again, one for you Ian, the Reds are performing their display over Coningsby next Monday

Rog

Over to you Ian to start the Lincolnshire aviation day's off again

Monday 29th March anybody ?? We've got to make it to Scampton this time !!

There's quite a few over a few other bases during the next couple of weeks even though the first 9 ship of the season only flew (AFAIK) this week!!

Well there by hangs a tale Pete , I have heard that they aren't going to go till early April and another report ( from somebody official) that they were going around Wednesday last week, but I've also heard (Not just from Rog) that they are up and about doing practices this week.

I've seen some photo's too, very nice in the late winter sun too!!

About 20 years ago I went for a weeks Easter break in Cyprus, (I was actually quite well off once). I thought I'd probably spend a few happy hours watching the Reds practising off the coast, but all I ever saw was a loop of coloured smoke far off in the distance one morning, still, at least I got to see the Canberra PR flights along the border every day.

I recall about this time 3 years ago watching the F-15's taking off from Lakenheath, as a couple dissapeared into the distance I was distracted by a great cloud of vapour trails in the airline stream to the north, looking through the bins you could see the Reds on their way to Cyprus, overtaking a couple of domestic jets plying their trade, it must have been an incredible sight for the passengers, I hope they appreciated their good fortune.

My Norwich supporter friend from Dereham was flying back from Dublin one day when they were alarmed by a rattling noise from the engines, the pilot told them not to panic and to prepare for an emergency landing. He turned back and prepared to land back at Dublin, as they descended and were on finals, the Red Arrows suddenly appeared and flew beneath them, honest, I've seen his photos, apparently no one had told them that there was an emergency and they were due to display, Mick said that despite the fact they were crapping themselves, it was the most amazing thing he ever saw.

The problem incidentally was the fuel filler cap, they were on a turbo prop and the ground crew had forgotten to put it back on properly, it was banging against the side of the engine on a chain in the slipstream.

Would I ever take the Mickey out the Irish, no way, I'm above all that...........I love em.

I was watching them practice last Friday as I was waiting in the Tesco car park on Canwick road lincoln, in front of me was the cathedral and beyond that was the Reds, smoke and all, finished off with the now famous Cupids heart and arrow

Rog

This has just appeared on the Reds official site , so it looks like they are not going out till later this year.

There are a couple of uk air base shows early this year, and a couple in Cyprus towards the end of May

I've been struggling with my computer this morning, I still can't access my e-mails.

Anyway, I just took the dogs for a walk by the river as it's a glorious day today, heard an approaching aircraft and a Spitfire flew over, first one of the year. Judging by the shape and sound, I suspect it was the MkV from Duxford, though thinking about it, it may even have been the only airworthy Mk1 which was in the hangars last November for a repaint, possibly on it's way home on the first.......................

It's just flown over near the house back the other way and turned quite sharply to the north east, because of the sun, I couldn't make out the markings or colour scheme and of course, by the time I ran back in for the bins it had banked away. Perhaps you can find it in your Notams Ian.

I watched the Reds perform their display this morning over Coningsby, what can I say? brilliant as ever, no signs of any Spitfires though so maybe not from here

Rog

Sorry missed the first post Pete, I have been rather busy today and haven't been on any of my aviation related sites so haven't had any NOTAMS. I'm on my way out to watch Notts on telly in my local now so it won't be till tomorrow that I get a chance to check.

It's always nice to see 'The Reds' , you lucky beggar Rog !!! (I only saw them 8 times last year !! any thing new ??

Did notice a few passes in the shape of the letter "T" remember they did it a few years ago and called it the "hammer head" plus what seemed like some low passes doing something like a "corkscrew" effect or multiple barrel rolls

Rog

I thought you might be interested to know that for the Duxford Spring Airshow, the BBMF will be putting up in the air the Lanc, Dakota, Spitfires x 3, Hurricanes x 2. I don't know if that means all at once, but as it's a special BBMF weekend, it wouldn't surprise me. I see that a Typhoon will be displaying as well which could mean the Spitfire and Typhoon combined routine.

I was lucky enough to be at the last BBMF do at DX when the Lanc flew in formation with all 5 Spits and the 2 Hurricanes, plus the Mk2 Spitfire/Typhoon display, an unforgetable sight.

Perhaps Rog can sniff around the hangar or better still, our snack bar man at Conningsby and find out what they've got planned, as well as looking out for any practice sessions in case they do have something big up their sleeves.

All being well there will be another 6 Spits and another Hurricane too!!

I am (Hopefully) getting down on the 16th for all the flying (Saturday is static only) I have heard on the QT that you will have to get there early as it could be a sell out !!

On a slightly different vein, SWMBO has just scuppered my plans for Tomorrow and Thursday. I had agreed to meet up with a mate at RAF Valley tomorrow, he's down from Inverness for a week, and Thursday we were going to RAF Cosford museum , the Michael Beetham Conservation Centre (MBCC) is having an open week and we were meeting up there too, but my much beloved has informed me that she has been asked to work both days and has scuppered my plans.

I am positive the good lord is trying stop me from enjoying myself !!!

On a slightly more positive note.

THE F-22 RAPTOR IS COMING TO RIAT !!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad I bought my tickets when I did !!! 'cause it's bound to sell out now.

Had a drive around Coningsby today (lunchtime) to see if owt about, Dakota outside hangar having the cobwebs brushed off, other side of hangar Hurricane with engine cowls off getting a bit of attention in the sunshine, a nice lineup of Typhoons on the ASP, both No29 and No3 sqdns, a bit further out was No41 sqdn Harrier and Tornado, the Tornado was being made ready to fly, by the time I got round to New York side of runway the Tornado was ready to take off just as soon as a King Air from Cranwell had cleared the runway, I just got to Gibbet Nook corner when Tornado took off leaving behind a black smoke trail and a load of noise, great!!

Have a mate who's brother in law is a sergeant on the camp so will ask a few questions for you

Cheers

Rog

You lucky bogger Rog!!!

The Tucanos' display season paint scheme has been revealed !!!

http://www.globalavi...canodisplay.php

Great tribute the the Battle of Britain.

Guess who's going to see 'The Reds' today ????? They're on at RAF Valley in a 'secret ' display !!! at five to two!!

Have you ever been any where to find out it was closed ???

I got my jobs done and dropped SWMBO and Adam off at the swimming baths at around 10 to 12 for the hundred mile drive over to RAF Valley (Why is it called that?? the nearest hills are about 25 miles away !!!) It was bright sunshine here , 8 miles out of Valley it suddenly was very cloudy . I got to their viewing area in time for a Seaking Helicopter flown by HRH William Wales arriving.

4441330044_ec914f3f77_b.jpg

4441331018_2f47f8daf1_b.jpg

I was then informed that 'The Reds' had gone 'home' as the weather was not conducive for a 'full' display.

What's he got to smile about ???

4440554849_db289e4620_b.jpg

Oh I see!!!

4441321036_2a0b65c07a_b.jpg

I then drive the 100 miles back home to find they were doing a full show at Scampton instead, I should have gone there in the first place as it ain't much further !!!

4441327730_2a8ed846a4_b.jpg

Nice to see the Valley hawks, I remember seeing them last year skimming the sea when we were on South Stack birding,

Dakota up today, nice blue skies and the air was filled with that engine sound, can't wait for the Merlin engines to fire into life and I believe the Typhoon will start it's display practice in a couple of weeks time,

Nice pics by the way Ian

Rog