Ericsson's Sports & Social Club

I remember helping my father to erect the steel frames that were to become the "new" social club on Grassy Lane Beeston, the year I think was 1948. I started working for Ericsson's on new years eve 1952 as an apprentice in the wood mill staying there until 1959. I recall the inter-departmental competitions that were held in the social club, darts, cards, dominoes, snooker and billiards being the main items of the competition. I also recollect the wonderful cricket pitch and sports field on Meadow Road. this cricket pitch dates back to the mid 19th century and I believe it was one of the early grounds used by a young Notts County Football club for about 3 years. I also believe Nottingham Forest played an early derby match against Notts County on this ground. The great W.G.Grace is thought to have played on this ground as is Sir Gary Sobers at a charity match. I am interested in the history of this ground i,e. teams that have played here with dates and scores if possible. Origins of the ground i.e. who had it laid down etc. also more about the social club of Ericsson's can anyone help please

Hey! Wecome :)

I rembember Summer Gala days at Plessey in Beeston in the 60s.

One of the staff built an electronic machine that played noughts and crosses.

You could not win it. One of the earliest computers.

• 4 months later...

I had relatives who worked at Ericsons and I remember going to the Social club once with my Mum and Dad. I'd have been about 6 at the time (Around 1967) . My main memory about the visit was that we didn't get home till twenty past eleven!!! and the bragging rites in the playground the following Monday.!!!!!