We used to Catch the Train ( During the 40`s )( The fair was only a few Coppers ) at Basford and Bulwell Station and then I believe it went Via-Basford-New Basford-Carrington-

Nottingham Victoria-Netherfield and Colwick-Gedling-Daybrook and back to Basford and Bulwell. I may be wrong on the route but it was along most of these Stations. We would break the Journey at The Victoria Station, have a look around Parliament street where there was a shop that sold " Railway " books and we would have a book where we could tick off all the Trains as we spotted them. On Bulwell Common we would put Coins on the Track to flatten them , and sometimes we would have some " Fog Signals " ( Nicked from somewhere )these were metal explosives with two metal ties on, which went around the Track.

Anyone out there who used to do this trip ???

I'd have loved to have done it . Unfortunately it had long gone when achieved the "age of independance" that would have allowed me out on my own.

According to the book "Railways in and around Nottingham" a similar service ran from Basford North to Victoria but the other way round, ie via Gedling etc to quote, "finish up in Victoria facing north" this ran till 1960. A photo taken 1/10/1959 shows class A5 69825 leaving Basford North at 4.15pm with 6 coaches in tow on that service (wonder why so many?) The book doesn't say what it did when it got to the Vic though? maybe became another service to another town or city?

There was a regular service but not very frequent from Basford & Bulwell (Basford North) to the Vic via Gedling. It was the same price as the direct route via New Basford. I went on it quite a few times. You couldn't do the round trip without changing at Victoria.

I once got on the wrong train at London Road High Level, didn't realize until it stopped at Ratcliffe on Trent. I had to get off there and get a train back to Victoria. I then went home rather late, on a 17 bus.