Memories of Netherfield?

I moved here about a year ago, Iv heard some 'back in the day' stories & The area sounded asif it was actually decent back then, What happend!? Theres worser areas than netherfield.. but its still not great. Iv never really had any problems myself here, but with its reputation.. i dont venture out after dark on my own if i can help it.

..Anyone got any memories of the area? Maybe some old photos? Id love to see/Hear what people have to post! :)

HI PIXIE

I WAS BROUGHT UP IN NETHERFIELD IN THE 1950S AND SIXTYS BEFORE MOVING TO CARLTON.YOU WILL FIND QUITE A FEW THREADS FROM ME AND OTHERS IF YOU LOOK IN THE AREA ARNOLD AND CARLTON ON THE FORUM. IF YOU WANT TO SEND ME A PM AND TELL ME WHICH STREET YOU ARE ON IN NETHERFIELD I MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP YOU IN THE HISTORY OF YOUR ST .

BUT A LOT OF THE HOUSING WAS BUILT AROUND 1880 FOR THE NEW RAILWAY THAT WAS BEING BUILT. MY MOTHER WAS BORN ON DEBILL ST IN 1915 AND SHE LIVED THER IN THE THE SAME HOUSE UNTILL 1963 WHEN THEY PULLED OUR HOUSES DOWN AND WE MOVED TO CARLTON.

AS YOU SAY IT USED TO BE A VERY NICE AREA WITH GREAT COMMUNITY SPIRIT. AND IN SOME WAYS STILL ISI WAS DOWN FOR THE XMAS LIGHT SWITCH ON LAST FRIDAY.

I MENT TO SAY THAT DURING THE FIFTIES AND SIXTIES MOST PEOPLE WORKED ON THE RAILWAYS GEDLING PIT. BOURNS MILLS OR AROUND THE DIFFERENT FACTORIES IN COLWICK

IE. LAURENCES WOODWORL TRENT CONCRETE SUGAR BEET ARMITAGES ECT

THE BIG DIFFERENCE STATED BACK IN THE SIXTIES WHEN THE COUNCIL IN IFS WISDOM STARTED TO PULL DOWN SOME OF THE OLD BUILDING AND BREAKING UP THE COMMUNITIES . THEN OFCOURSE IN THE EIGHTIES MORE WENT TO MAKE WAY FOR THE LOOP RD ,FORCING MORE OF THE OLDER PEOPLE OUT THEN AS MORE HOUSES WENT OVER TO THE COUNCIL IT BECAME A DUMPING GROUND FOR LOTS OF PROBLEM FAMILIES AND BEFOR ANY ONE SEZ ANY THING ABOUT THIS THERE WAS WRITEN EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THIS

Was told the houses in Netherfield are quite old (i guessed that by the layout of the house too)..I made a thread about looking for my house history but history about Netherfield streets that would be fantastic. The old train lines that would of gone to gedling pit are still there, unused were the kids from around here somehow get on them & play.

It still has that community spirit, its a place were everyone knows one another, even if they dont know each other by name.. theres allways someone local who would help you out if you needed it, again, even if they barely knew you. But unfortunately.. theres alot of people my age & younger who just want to start trouble wich brings the area down.

I was put here by the council, My road has a fair few single mums & young families.. People who live here are starting to call it the incubator estate!

Oooh what number did you live at? a friend of mine lives there... Wich reminds me, i must make a point of going to see them for a cuppa seeings their only a 10 min walk!

Maybe SWMBO will remember.

There was an Alcoholic guy called Pete who lived next door.

Nice guy when sober, probably quite well known.

I did see him in Long Eaton once or twice.

Haha, as far as i know.. i dont think theres any alcoholics who live there anymore, but ill ask my friend when i next speak to them

Lived at #15 Hodgkinson Street late 40s and 50s. My grandmother lived on Godfrey street. Friendly enough place as I remember it in those days. Last time I was back there was in the 70s and again in the 90's. Have some old 8mm film on youtube if you want to see it back then. Search for Labdaddy on Youtube it should come up.

BTW welcome to the board.

hi dave merry christmas to you and your family as you say it was a nice area when we lived there with dunstan st being classed as one of the posh sts with slightly larger houses and many families down there had less children than some of the other sts.then in the 1980s many of the problem and one parent families were put onto that st when the council brought a lot of the properties and added bathrooms to those who had not already got them.

Hi P &B

A merry Christmas to you and yours also. Took a stroll along Hodgkinson St. on Google earth not too long ago. Looks much the same except for most of the houses being stuccoed now.

Sorry about previous post it suggested looking for labdaddy on you-tube. Should have been "Sollylab" Really am having too many "Senior moments" in these days.

Just had a watch of your netherfield video.. My my how things have changed, i barely recognise any of the places!!

.. Its not a memory.. or any netherfield history but did any of you guys hear about the murder that took place just off deabil street a couple of months back?? I think it was on norman street - Terrible, everyone was incredibly shocked as that estate is fairly quite i believe, i seen the police tape & everything on my walk to the shops! ... Im sure people who once lived down that end would be shocked also. Although.. Apparently its not the first murder netherfield has seen... (if anyone reading this knew the person who sadly had their life taken away, please dont see this as 'gossip' of any sort. My respect & love goes out to all people who were related or knew them!)

Anyone else with 'shocking' stories of netherfield?

Actually my experience of Netherfield, of some years ago, It was not a high crime area compared with similar areas of 'High density' housing.

such as Lenton, Radford St Anns & Sneinton.

Crime rates in netherfield keep rising and falling..A gang of teens (& older adults who should know better!) Started trying to take over the area, intimidating people, stealing cars, breaking windows.. A friend of mine was driving down victoria road and had a large stone of some sort (So they said it looked like) thrown at their car, luckily it bounced off the window instead of going through it as their 4 year old son was in the back.. They had done nothing to provoke or anything!! Iv been in a car where a hard boiled egg was thrown at it damaging the paint work... & Another friend had a empty glass bottle thrown at theirs!! .. Whats the need?

..Apparently half of them have been evicted with their families and moved else were, the rest have ASBOs. . But at the moment, as far as i know - all is peacefull around here.