One for the psychologists?

I was in Nottingham City Main Library this lunchtime. In the exhibition area on the first floor there's a small display about Nottingham Tennis Centre - it includes drawings by local children of all ages.

What amazed me was the drawing by a six-year-old. There in the top right corner of the building was a chimney stack complete with smoke coming out the top.

I'd like to know if anyone here can explain why young children have this primitive urge to include something that they've never seen and that hasn't existed in Nottingham since the passage of the Clean Air Regulations back in the 60s.

I was in Nottingham City Main Library this lunchtime. In the exhibition area on the first floor there's a small display about Nottingham Tennis Centre - it includes drawings by local children of all ages.

What amazed me was the drawing by a six-year-old. There in the top right corner of the building was a chimney stack complete with smoke coming out the top.

I'd like to know if anyone here can explain why young children have this primitive urge to include something that they've never seen and that hasn't existed in Nottingham since the passage of the Clean Air Regulations back in the 60s.

Simple! .. the children come from Ilkeston, where the the old die hard tradition of burning copper wire is still practiced within the confines of the domestic environment.

each child is given a fifty foot length of neatly cut copper cable (obtained from various sources), it is then their responsibility to strip and clean the same and dispose of the casing within the fire..

on a good week, up to fifty chimneys can be seen belching out the acrid smoke, and thus visitors are advised to wear a smogmask for the duration of their stay!