Melbourn Street Nottingham 1880s

Ayup Knaylor and welcome along.

I don't know the area but I'm pretty sure I know of a couple of members on here who will point you in the right direction!! eh Littlebro and Cliff Ton??

Hi All,

I'm researching some old history and I have some family members who were residents of Melborne Street, Nottingham in 1881 census. Does anyone know which district that might be in?

Any help appreciated

Nothing recorded for Melbourn or Melborne,

There was a Melbourne Square, Melbourne Terrace & Melbourne Yard off Mansfield Road and a Melbourne Villas off Gregory Boulevard.

I suggest pull an old map of around the Forest/Mansfield Road area.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the replies.

I just found reference to it in 1888-9 Wright's Directory of Nottingham:

Melbourne street (Shakspere st).

Morley house, Commercial Hotel and

Refrshmt hse, Thos. Stubbs, propr

So maybe it was somewhere around or the old name for Shakespere St.

I'm also having trouble locating 'Countess Place' - any thoughts on that one?

IMMSC North Sherwood Street runs between Shakespeare Street and Forest Road, if that helps to make a connection between the two.

Nottingham and District Tramways Company Limited 1875-1897

Proposed a new tram line from Long Row then Market Street, Upper Parliament Street, Milton Street, Melbourne Street and Mansfield Road, terminating opposite the south east corner of St. John's Church, Carrington. 1 mile 6 furlongs 5.7 chains (3,205 yards).

Seems Melbourne Street was between Milton Street and Mansfield Road, probably the southern part of what is now known as Mansfield Road between Milton Street and Forest Road?

Is there a chance it might be Tyne Street? There was one of them in the Willoughby Street area of Lenton

Doesn't look like it - in the 1851 census there is definitely an 'F' and an 'i' in the spelling.

Yes, I think it's Fine Street in 1851

How things have changed - 24 pubs had to be demolished to build Victoria Station! What a tragedy!