four weeks today, we get to open our first advent window!

It isnt christmas untill that cola add comes on our tellies!

I still get excited like i did as a child when it comes to christmas, my family like to buy each other nice little gifts, usually something for the house or some smellies to indulge in, but it is a time for giving, so if i know anyone thats spending the day alone, ill go visit them with home made mince pies! A big bag of clothes etc for the homeless and less fortunate, i also clear the cupboard of unused tins and packets when theres a food collection. It is a magical time of year, especaily for the kiddies, but too many shops and companies know this and use it to make as much money as possible, its not about how much things cost, its the thought behind each gift, it could come out of a charity shop for all i care, id still appreciate it! :) Did anyone on here have any family traditions at christmas time when growing up?

dave and i always drink to absent friends were ever they may be at 3pm on christmas day as fis family always did and our thought are for those who have passed away but also for those all over the world.

I love the idea of that, Babs. Good for you. This is what I do every Hogmanay for those special people that have passed through my life.

Christmas to me, is a time to reflect on the year that has past.

My wife and I feel blessed once again,I have had my health issues,but my attitude has been positive.During my visits to the Oncology clinic earlier this year, I saw so many people who were suffering far greater than myself.

All,of us have lost loved ones,and at times,wish to have them by our side.Christmas is a reminder of family and friends,we grew up with that no longer share this special time in our celebrations.

So come Christmas day,I will raise my glass to the same toast I have had for many years," Peace of mind,Peace of heart,and Peace on Earth,

to absent friends, Cheers".

So come Christmas day,I will raise my glass to the same toast I have had for many years," Peace of mind,Peace of heart,and Peace on Earth,

to absent friends, Cheers".

That's a great toast mudgie49, & if I remember on the day, I'll do the same !clapping!

I TOO LIKE THAT BRIAN LIKE YOU DAVE AND I HAVE BOTH HAD OUR OWN HEALTH PROBLEMS IN THE LAST FEW YEARS, WE ARE NOW AT THE STAGE WERE WE DONT BUY PRESENTS FOR EACH OTHER AT CHRISTMAS AS WE NEVER KNOW WHAT TO GET AS WE BOTH HAVE MOST OF THE THINGS WE NEED BUT WE OFTEN BUY THINGS IF WE SEE SOMETHING WE WANT AT OTHER TIMES OF THE YEAR IF WE CAN AFFORD IT AT THE TIME.ITS MORE IMPORTANT TO BE TOGETHER AS A FAMILY THAN WHAT WE BUY EACH OTHER BUT I MUST ADMIT I DO GET UPSET IF I DONT GET A SPECIAL CARD.AND AS ITS ALSO OUR WEDDING ANIVERSARY ON DEC 30TH ITS TWO PRESSIES TO BUY AND FIND IN A WEEK THIS YEAR WILL BE OUR RUBY WEEDDING ANIVERSARY.AND WE ARE THINKING ABOUT GOING OUT FOR LUNCH WITH TWO OF MY SISTERS AND A FEW FRIENDS PERHAPS ABOUT 12 OF US, MY SISTER KATH WILL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS FROM SOUTH AFRICA FIRST CHRISTMAS IN ENGLAND FOR5 YEARS SO WILL BE A BIT MORE OF A FAMILY OCCATION THIS YEAR. ANYBODY KNOW ANYWERE THAT DOES SUNDAY CARVERY NOT TOO EXPENSIVE THAT YOU CAN PRE BOOK A TABLE WITHIN ABOUT 10 MILES OF NOTTINGHAM.

ANYBODY KNOW ANYWERE THAT DOES SUNDAY CARVERY NOT TOO EXPENSIVE THAT YOU CAN PRE BOOK A TABLE WITHIN ABOUT 10 MILES OF NOTTINGHAM.

The Bestwood Lodge Hotel still does a Sunday carvery according to the link below, Babs. Bookable too.

I can't vouch for the food I'm afraid as I only ever have tea and biscuits in there (!) but it's a very pleasant place if you've never been there and a nice setting to take visitors.

http://www.bestwoodl...uk/?page_id=482

ANYBODY KNOW ANYWERE THAT DOES SUNDAY CARVERY NOT TOO EXPENSIVE THAT YOU CAN PRE BOOK A TABLE WITHIN ABOUT 10 MILES OF NOTTINGHAM.

I know toby carvery is a nice carvery, im not entirely sure how much it costs pp but worth a look. Also, seven mile inn on the way to mansfield is nice, there owned by crown carveries and i know their usually half the price of toby carveries. Nice quality too!!

Have you looked into booking a meal at a pub? The pub i used to work at in carlton (Inn for a penny) did a christmas meal for pre-booked guests, as i let there just before christmas, i heard from a few people that the food was lovely. I used to work in the kitchen so i can vouch that the food is fresh and quite nice!

:) I remember when Advent Calendars first came in - was it somewhere around the 70's?

Heading towards Christmas my children loved opening up an even closer date to this special time of the year.

The time of Christmas and there's a wonderful warmth around, regardless of decorations and presents - something you can't touch, see, hear or smell but it's there. :)

PROBLEM WITH A LOT OF CARVERY PUBS IS YOU CARNT PRE BOOK. AND THERE WILL BE BETWEEN 12 AND 20 OF US SO NEED TO PRE BOOK. SO WE CAN ALL SIT TOGETHER

:) I remember when Advent Calendars first came in - was it somewhere around the 70's?

Heading towards Christmas my children loved opening up an even closer date to this special time of the year.

The time of Christmas and there's a wonderful warmth around, regardless of decorations and presents - something you can't touch, see, hear or smell but it's there. :)

Exactly right................................ :biggrin: ............nothing tangible........or even explainable........Christmas just is! I've always loved it & always will........

PROBLEM WITH A LOT OF CARVERY PUBS IS YOU CARNT PRE BOOK. AND THERE WILL BE BETWEEN 12 AND 20 OF US SO NEED TO PRE BOOK. SO WE CAN ALL SIT TOGETHER

Note Bestwood Lodge Hotel as it's bookable, Babs.

The Toby at Chaddesden takes bookings, so perhaps the Toby at Wollaton will also, give 'em a call Babs............I've eaten at both & they're OK

Toby in colwick also had an advertisement out saying their taking bookings for christmas, babs. Colwick branch is nice, eaten there quite a few times.

i too have been to tobys both at wooaton and colwickso know both are nice but last time we asked tou could not book but it may have changed well be checking out in next few days

I got an email last night from the ram inn in arnold saying their taking bookings for crimbo, havent eaten there since they first opened but worth a look