Liverpool Pathway. Nottingham woman with a urinary tract infection.

Recent news today

news+67074000+jpg+_67074920_euthanasia:s

NEW 33 minutes ago

A man left paralysed and in constant pain is challenging the law to allow doctors to help him to die

The argument against assisted suicides being legalised is that it puts all vulnerable sick elderly people at risk of not receiving the treatment and care that they deserve.

My father died in a Los Angeles hospital, I was on holiday in Florida and returned to find a letter that he had died, been cremated and his ashes spread at sea.

On making enquiries after his death at the senior assisted living accommodation, his friends told me he was having some problems swallowing and was taken to hospital. His last words were to the effect of "don't let them keep me in, I want to come back here"

He was sedated in the hospital ward where "end of life people" are (words of my Aunt) and kept on a drip. I do not know what happened next, but do know that in his will he had "Do Not resuscitate". My cousins wife who was taking care of his financial affairs (mistake!) later was found to have diverted his last $10,000 into her own bank account!

With cutbacks here the elderly are in danger of not receiving treatment.

• 2 months later...

Pity they have not got the message about the 10`s of thousands of needless deaths by negligence,not to mention the almost unheard of incidence of maternal and neo-natal deaths in Lancashire.

Any how, Nottingham does get a mention in the top 14.

Sir Bruce investigated the 14 hospital trusts with the worst mortality rates over the past two years.

They were: Basildon and Thurrock in Essex; United Lincolnshire; Blackpool; The Dudley Group, West Midlands; George Eliot, Warwickshire; Northern Lincolnshire and Goole; Tameside, Greater Manchester; Sherwood Forest, Nottinghamshire; Colchester, Essex; Medway, Kent; Burton, Staffordshire; North Cumbria; East Lancashire; and Buckinghamshire Healthcare

• Upvote 1

Much of this on UK news today.

I am certain that my dad was a victim of a similar system in Los Angeles when he passed away in 2008!

Hollywood pathways?

Sadly and ironically, I was on holiday on the east coast of the usa when he was taken in

Back from death`s door! One wonders what would have happened to Mandela had he fronted up for treatment under the NHS.

Nelson Mandela is 'steadily improving' on his 95th birthday

So Happy Birthday to a very great man.

• 1 month later...

Something which puzzles me is this. There is always great argument about assisted suicide on moral and religious grounds. Why do the same arguments not apply to assisted pregnancy; IVF etc. What happens after death is a matter of faith; an answer to this question has never been found and never will. Similarly, what happens before birth will always be unknown. We can never be sure that we are not being brought from a previous and better existence. Obviously the needs of having a family figure in this but take this away and both ends of life are unknown.

• Upvote 1

Why do the same arguments not apply to assisted pregnancy; IVF etc. ?

Simple Mr Tomlinson,assisted pregnancy is about GIVING life to the 1 in 10 couples that are infertile for what ever reason.

The Liverpool Pathway is about DESTROYING life in the most diabolical way. (As in my opinion the majority of terminations.)

Why do the same arguments not apply to assisted pregnancy; IVF etc. ?

Simple Mr Tomlinson,assisted pregnancy is about GIVING life to the 1 in 10 couples that are infertile for what ever reason.

The Liverpool Pathway is about DESTROYING life in the most diabolical way. (As in my opinion the majority of terminations.)

You miss the point. My thought is, in 'giving life', you know as much about where your life comes from as to what happens after death. You cannot know, nor will you ever, that human life is better than a possible previous existence. Obviously parents' lives are fulfilled by having their family which is why IVF etc. is so beneficial to us but to assume there is nothing either side of our span of years is presumptive.

You asked the question, ` . Why do the same arguments not apply to assisted pregnancy; IVF etc.' I simply tried to answer. Of course the great questions of life and death remain,and probably we will never know. I was given a little book written by a West bridgeford author you may find interesting. Will look it out and let you know author and title.

• Upvote 1

You asked the question, ` . Why do the same arguments not apply to assisted pregnancy; IVF etc.' I simply tried to answer. Of course the great questions of life and death remain,and probably we will never know. I was given a little book written by a West bridgeford author you may find interesting. Will look it out and let you know author and title.

Another discussion of the question is in 'The Rubaiyat of Omar Khyyamm'. I find a great deal of logic there.

• 3 months later...

Freedoms removed both ends of life now in UK.! Did you read about the Italian woman living in England who had her baby forcibly removed by caesarian section? How long before we go the way of the Chinese and are allowed only 1 (or none) children.

My mum died in Oz six months ago. She was 93, with awful stomach pains and no-longer recognising her family. The doctor predicted that she wouldn't make it past the weekend. Dunno how he knew that but she didn't.

When it's my turn and in similar circumstances then I'd like to make it very clear that I would be GLAD to go.

When Elvis has left the building then it's time to go.