Name the road...

The railway overbridge carried a line which was less than 2 miles in length..

But what is the name of the road?

Cheers

Robt P.

Picture by Reg Baker, April 1973.

post-29-1138294879_thumb.jpg

Was that the bridge that was across Wollaton Road, it was blown up one Sunday morning if I remember

A ;)

'Fraid not.....

Beyond the bridge are a row of shops.

Formerly served by the NCT No 22.

Cheers

Robt P.

If I'm not mistaken it looks very much like Broxtowe lane, looking towards Nutthall road..

the bridge was service to Cinderhill Colliery and was probably razed in the seventies like everything else..

You aren't mistaken.....spot on!

The privately owned rail line also crossed Bell's Lane & Melbourne Road on the level and went to Newcastle Wharf, opposite the Newcastle Arms pub on Nuthall Road.

Guess which family owned the colliery, and just about everything else - somewhat surprising that the A610 wasn't called Newcastle Road....

Cheers

Robt P.

Is that where the saying "coals to Newcastle" came from. I often wondered as Newcastle on tyne doesnt have any pits as far as I know,

and did this man "Duke of Newcastle" live in a big house in The Park on Newcastle Drive.

Wasnt it Bridge across Broxtowe Lane but railway crossings across Bells Lane and Melbourne Drive?

Is that where the saying "coals to Newcastle" came from. I often wondered as Newcastle on tyne doesnt have any pits as far as I know,

The Newcastle area was formerly surrounded by collieries.

IIRC, their Ellington Colliery (backdrop for 'Billy Elliott'!) remains operational.

Certainly many of their redundant colliers came down to work in the Notts coalfield during the 60's, particularly Cotgrave, Bevercotes and Thoresby - which were our newer mines.

Our local owners were the Dukes of Newcastle.

Perhaps they never even went to St James's Park!

Cheers

Robt P.

The Newcastle area was formerly surrounded by collieries.

IIRC, their Ellington Colliery (backdrop for 'Billy Elliott'!) remains operational.

Certainly many of their redundant colliers came down to work in the Notts coalfield during the 60's, particularly Cotgrave, Bevercotes and Thoresby - which were our newer mines.

Our local owners were the Dukes of Newcastle.

Perhaps they never even went to St James's Park!

Cheers

Robt P.

Ellingtons closed Rob, equipment is being recovered at this moment. It was closed last year after over 90 years of coaling.

Yep, Newcastle was a coal mining centre for a few hundred years. Coal from there was shipped down to London during Henry 8th's reign.

and did this man "Duke of Newcastle" live in a big house in The Park on Newcastle Drive.

Wasnt it Bridge across Broxtowe Lane but railway crossings across Bells Lane and Melbourne Drive?

A Duke of Newcastle took over the ownership of the Castle in the 18th? century and one his successors was instrumental in the Park Estate's creation during the 1850's. I've seen an old pic somewhere of their mansion on Newcastle Drive....but damned if I can remember where ......... yer know what it's like when yer get past 50 :blink:

The rail line crossed Bell's Lane by Walbrook Close, merely a few yards up from the Nuthall Road roundabout. Upon the gate closures the local kids always rushed down to see the little tank loco blast away from the colliery sidings, covering the whole area with a crescendo of noise and smoke.

The Melbourne Road crossing must have been more complex, with a series of gates spanning the extremely wide road.

Perhaps Ann may have some memories.....

Cheers

Robt P.

Ellingtons closed Rob, equipment is being recovered at this moment. It was closed last year after over 90 years of coaling

Wasn't Ellington the colliery whose seams went out about 5 miles beneath the North Sea?

Cheers

Robt P.