Vivit post funera virtus - on crockery?

Diggin' in the garden (as you do on a hot Bank Holiday), I found a few shards of broken crockery. It appears to bear a crest with "VIVIT POST FUNERA VIRTUE" round the outside and a cross with three crowns inside. Above the cross are three letters CN? or GN? (haven't got any bits with the third letter). Another shard looks like the manufacturer's details but all I have there is ROCO...? C. ALLER...? EN...? (probably England) All text and logo is maroon on white pot.

I know this is the motto of Nottingham (have Googled for translation) but am curious as to what the initials mean. I guess it must have been some local authority department. Any ideas?

Diggin' in the garden (as you do on a hot Bank Holiday), I found a few shards of broken crockery. It appears to bear a crest with "VIVIT POST FUNERA VIRTUE" round the outside and a cross with three crowns inside. Above the cross are three letters CN? or GN? (haven't got any bits with the third letter). Another shard looks like the manufacturer's details but all I have there is ROCO...? C. ALLER...? EN...? (probably England) All text and logo is maroon on white pot.

I know this is the motto of Nottingham (have Googled for translation) but am curious as to what the initials mean. I guess it must have been some local authority department. Any ideas?

Don't know if this helps but there was a pottery manufacturer called Chas. Allerton which could be where the "C.Aller..." comes from.

Any of these similar ?

http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/a/allerton.html

There are some pottery marks here for them but not like you describe:

http://www.oldandsold.com/pottery/greatbritain16.shtml

DAVIDW,

None of the marks match but I'm convinced that you've found the manufacturer. The ROCO... must be the name for the range or pattern. Under that will be C. ALLERTON, ENGLAND and below that is just an R followed by a tiny squiggle, probably abbreviation of Registered or Registration No. Thank you.

Just need to work on those initials CN... The most likely candidate for the third letter is A, so that would be CNA. However, I can't find anything relevant that would be abbreviated to CNA and form part of a Nottingham crest and motto.

Engineer.