And none of the Nottingham area signalboxes have been listed - see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23451290

To be honest that isn't really surprising, Trent is a 1960s monstrosity that is full of asbestos so probably best demolished appropriately, the only other one to close that is of note was Rectory Junction, it was the junction for the Great Northern Derbyshire extension and Leen Valley lines. Netherfield Junction will probably go fairly quickly, it'll get vandalised otherwise. Sneinton has already gone to pastures new.

To be honest that isn't really surprising, Trent is a 1960s monstrosity that is full of asbestos so probably best demolished appropriately, the only other one to close that is of note was Rectory Junction, it was the junction for the Great Northern Derbyshire extension and Leen Valley lines. Netherfield Junction will probably go fairly quickly, it'll get vandalised otherwise. Sneinton has already gone to pastures new.

Netherfield Junction signal box was built about 1961 & is of no merit the original box was in the middle of station platform.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

First post here, so don't bite!

Netherfield Jn box will be demolished sometime in 2015 when Lowdham, Fiskerton Jn, Rolleston Crossing and Staythorpe Crossing boxes close and signalling is transfered to the Derby EMCC. Its something to do with actual signalling equipment between Netherfield Jn and Lowdham stopping the demolition until 2015. Signal boxes at Bingham and Bottesford will close at the same time.

Sneinton Shunt Frame Box (Its proper name) has gone to the Network Rail development site at Tuxford - well, the top half has! Rectory Jn being built on a brick base and slowly falling over backwards, isn't suitable for preservation. You would need a very big crane to lift the lever frame out for starters and theres no road access....

• Upvote 2

Question.

What is going to happen to Newark(castle) signal box?

Will the east coast main line controll centre(wherever that is?) take over from that box or will it be under the controll of Derby?

I have fond memories of the characters operating at both Trent and Derby powerboxes. I worked in operations at both Derby and Nottingham sidings. Both ops offices had tannoys outside on the wall just in case the ops supervisor didn't hear the signalman ringing to tell him about a train coming in. If announcing over the tannoy wasn't heard, there were at least one signalman at both places who would start singing to us. Happy days.

Barclaycon. Just noticed your post. I know that on several occasions the Royal trail was parked on the north curve and I believe it had phone connections for this purpose. For the 1977 silver jubilee visit the Royal train was parked at Nottm Carriage Sidings. I used to know the guy who had to collect the buckets placed under the toilet outlets. I wonder how much you could get for a bucket of Royal Pooh.