A COLLECTOR OF WOMEN'S BACK TEETH

From Our Own Correspondent

LONDON. Sunday June 1942

Nottingham police are searching for a dentist, a smart, professional

looking man with an instrument bag.

He calls on women when they are alone, offers to examine their teeth,

and after they are in the chair forcibly extracts sound molars.

The latest victim, Mrs Edith Foulks, said that before she knew

what had happened , he pulled out a back tooth, ran into the street, and,

tossing the tooth in the air, shouted "What a beauty."

Mrs Foulks fainted.

Well they got him ! The following year

3rd April 1943

Man Who Wanted To Be A Dentist

A traveller in pianos who always wanted to be a dentist, was said at Nottingham to have visited a house and pulled out a woman's tooth.

As he left he held up the tooth and said, "Here's a beauty," it was alleged.

He is Cyril William Bellshaw (41). of Sutton-in-Ashfield. Notts, states "the "Evening Standard," and he was fined £15, and 50/3 costs, on two charges of assaulting women and

a charge of practising as a dentist without being on the dentists' register.

Mr. Varley, defending, said Bellshaw had shown extraordinary interest in the practice and methods of dentistry. He always carried a forceps with him.

He meant no harm towards the two women.

The police said Bellshaw had come under their notice before through similar conduct.

The magistrate said that if Bellshaw had pleaded lunacy one could understand his conduct.

Good one ....I was looking for a pun combining "traveller in pianos" and dentistry ...something like traveller in pianos hits gum note ....but couldn't think of one !

Another teeth related story .

Attempted Murder of a County Court Judge. 31/DEC/1889
Mr. Samuel B. Bristowe, Q.C., Judge of the Nottingham County Court, was shot at and dangerously wounded at the Great Northern Railway Station at that town on the evening of
November 10th . His Honour had been presiding at the court during the day, and at the conclusion of the business he proceeded to the railway station for the purpose of travelling to West Hallam, where he resides. As he was about to enter a carriage of the 5.40 train a man was seen to raise a pistol and fire at him ; the judge fell back, and it was at once apparent that he was seriously wounded.
Some of the persons who witnessed the occurrence went to his assistance, whilst others seized the assailant.
His Honour was found that his condition was so serious that any idea of conveying him home was abandoned, and he was taken to the General Hospital.
Meanwhile the police had arrived, and had taken into custody the man who fired the shot. He proved to be a German named William Edward Arnemann, 41 years of age, who has for some time past been practising as dentist in North Sherwood-street, Nottingham.
Some time ago he was prosecuted at the instance of the British Dental Association for describing himself as a dentist, and, although he produced his German qualification, he was fined.
' He has on several occasions brought actions in the Nottingham County Court against persons for debt, and has been heard to declare that he could not get justice there.
Only on the day of the outrage he sued a chemist of the town for a sum of 35s for artificial teeth, and was non-suited by Judge Bristowe on the ground that the teeth did not fit.
After being arrested he was taken first to the district police station, and subsequently to the Central station.
He appeared to be quite calm, but it was deemed expedient by the authorities to leave an attendant with him in the cell. It is said that he has been in a depressed condition for some time past.
After firing the shot he was heard to say, " I have had his blood, and I wish I may have killed him." .......
The prisoner was brought before the local magistrates the following day, and remanded.
Arnemann said if this had occurred in his own country he should have been aquitted, and he believed that his actions would be to the benefit of rising generations in England. There is no question of the prisoner's sanity, as he talks quite rationally.
Arnemann went to Nottingham about three years ago and began practicing dentistry. He had, it is said, a Berlin diploma only, and in 1880 was sued at the Ínstance of the British Dental Association for displacing a sign describing himself as a dentist
Since then he has been under the impression that he was ill-used and persecuted individual, and has displayed considerable eccentricity, he has been in the habit of sleeping exposed to all sorts of weather in a little wooden cabin on the top of his flat roofed lock-up shop.
Recently he has brought numerous actions in Nottingham County Court against persons to whom he has supplied teeth, and who had declined to pay him on the grounds that the work was badly done.
Invariably Judgo Bristowe has agreed with the defendants, and non-suited Arnemann. He has been heard to threaten revenge , but those outbursts of passion have been regarded simply as the outpourings of a disappointed man, and nothing serlous was apprehended.
Unfortunately he couldn't hack it and.....
The SUICIDE of ARNEMANN. June 1890
The man Arnemann, who shot Judge Bristowe, hung himself in Leicester Gaol this morning, where he was serving the first nine months of his term of imprisonment. He was much depressed for few weeks after his arrival there........
Nottingham Evening Post
East Midlands, England
17/06/1890
Article
NOTTINGHAM CRIME November 1906

GIRL AND. TWO LOVERS.

At Nottingham, recently, . .William Sanday, 20, was charged with having murdered Albert James Smith the clerk in charge of Messrs. Thomas Cook and Son's , Derby Rd excursion agency branch, Nottingham.

Smith was found the previous Saturday crouching in the office' doorway making a feeble sign for help, having been shot In the lung. 'I've been murdered and robbed,' he gasped to neighbors -who rushed in. Before he died in the hospital he was able to give a description of his assailant, who, he said, fired the shot from the street .

The police, on examining the premises, -found a broken bottle, which had contained chloroform and bore a label of a local firm of chemists.

This led them', to arrest Sanday, who was wearing

the uniform of a second officer of the White Star line, though not employed by the company.

At the hospital- the dying man is said 'to have declared that a man answering

Sanday's description entered the office a week previous, and the questions he put about the business and the money in the safe preyed so much, on Smith's mind that he dreamed that three men entered the office, broke open the safe while he stood by powerless, and when he frantically appealed to passers-by for help they only jeered.

On Saturday, November 3, the same man, said the victim, entered the office at three o'clock, and asked persistent questions for nearly an hour. Becoming, nervous, Smith made preparations as though to close the office, but really his object was to fetch assistance. Unexpectedly his visitor rushed upon him' with a chloroform bottle, trying to drug him .

A fierce struggle ensued in the middle of which a young woman with a baby entered the office, but quickly ran out.

'Finally, finding Smith mastering him, the assailant drew a revolver and fired point blank, the bullet passing through Smith's lung. Smith was' just starting for a ten days' holiday at Bristol where his parents were expecting him, when they received, a telegram announcing his fate.

The chief constable stated that at three on Sunday morning, the prisoner, of whom. a description had been

obtained, was traced to a lodging-house In the central part of Nottingham.

The bedroom In which he was sleeping was quietly entered by detective officers, who effected his arrest. An army, revolver, fully loaded in five chambers, was found on a chair by his bedside, the weapon being covered by his cap.

Detective-supt. Parnham deposed that when charged at Guildhall the prisoner ' said, 'I am very sorry for it now.

I can give no reason why I did it' The accused, a smart looking youth, displayed little concern in the dock, and, in reply to the usual question from the Bench, said he had nothing now to say.

A remand was ordered. At the Inquest on Monday the first witness was Mrs. Mary Smith, of Pendennis-road, Brisllngton, ' near Bristol, the wife of Thomas Smith, a carpenter, and the mother of the deceased. She said her son had recently lived at 112, Talbot-street, Nottingham. . -He was 23 years of age.

The Coroner: Did; you know anyone bearing him a grudge? — No; 'he said he did not know anyone who owed him a grudge, because he was so liked, by everyone. '.

You can't account for anyone having done him an injury— No; Its the last thing I should, have expected.. He was so friendly with everyone. '' .

The young woman who entered the office with a baby just before the crime was committed has been identified as a nursemaid in the service of a Nottingham gentleman. She states that on Saturday afternoon, about four o'clock, she called on Smith at his office to arrange a meeting for the following day.

Sanday was in the office, holding a heated argument with Smith. As soon as Sanday saw her he exclaimed, 'Here she is, now prove it!'

The girl said she ran out. Sanday fetched her back, remarking, 'You're just the girl we want. See which you are going to have, Bert or me?'

Smith remarked, 'Take no notice of him, Gertie.' The young woman said she again ran out, and Sanday closed the door. She had known Sanday for nearly, two years, meeting him at Leicester when she lived there. .......Sanday met her on two or

three occaslons when she was walking with Smith. This annoyed him. .

In September he left Nottingham, saying he had got a position as second engineer on a White Star liner at £14 a month. A week ago she again met him. He was then, wearing a sailor's uniform. He said he had been two trips to America . Sanday again asked her to marry, him, and when she refused, he said," 'Don't I earn enough money for you ?

I get double what, Bert does".

Sanday added that he had loaned £5 to Smith in the summer, and he could not get It back. 'I'll make him pay it though,' he exclaimed, and give you up as well.

I have to return to my ship on Monday, but shan't go without you.'

He seems to have got off lightly.......

A Nottingham Murder. Dec 1906

JEALOUS LOVER GETS 14 YEARS. London, December 2, — William Sanday, a petty officer in the marine service, who confessed the murder of Albert Smith at Nottingham as a result of

jealousy, has been sentenced to 14 years' imprisonment In this cold-blooded murder, which occurred at Nottingham on November 3 last, when Albert Smith, cashier of the local branch of Cook's Tourist Agency, was shot dead while he was in the act of locking the office safe, the murderer made his escape, but subsequently the polioe arrested

William sanday, a petty officer in the marine service, and he confessed that he had killed Smith.

It was at first supposed that the crime was committed with the intention of robbing the safe, but the inquiries made by the police show that the murder was prompted by jealousy, owing to Smith having spoken to Sanday 's sweetheart.

• 2 months later...

This first story of these conjures up an amusing picture . Its probably sexist , ageist and offends those of a virtually challenged disposition !

From the E.P. in 1878 , one diminutive drunk , Ann Clarke , tucked under the arm of a policeman.

The second more serious case has a saying "clean his pot out " , I suppose another way of saying "punch his lights out" ?

10686590505_048258b829_z.jpg

I suspect that this may be the same old lady

10686820143_8aa7464da5.jpg

• Upvote 1