Free "Heritage days" out

There's a load of places open for free all over the country this weekend, it started yesterday but i forgot to post these details.

http://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/

Nottingham Castle is on the list,and loads of others in your area.

We're off to the Lake District, staying over, then (Weather permitting) Southport Airshow on Sunday.

Just got back from a great day in the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales national parks.

Never seen as many Japanese tourists as there were at Beatrix Potters house.

A trip on a Windermere Steamer was brilliant (And very long, to say it was free !!)

Came back via the Ribblehead Viaduct (Both kids managing to 'paddle' in the River Ribble)

And finally Malham Cove where I had done some work building a footpath back in '87

Only downside was the £8.60 return ferry crossing !

Today we got in the car to go and take advantage of the free Heritage offer, but we found our selves heading towards Ashbourne, and carried on to Buxton, where began a day of non stop munching. It was fish and chips at Buxton, then cream cake and flask tea somewhere on a hill in the beautiful Manifold Valley, followed by double ice creams at a little treasure we discovered called Hartington. We kept turning off the main roads, down lanes, some so narrow that thankfully there was no oncoming traffic. I had the job of getting out of the car and opening and closing the gates to keep the animals in. We have some truly beautiful places on this island of ours if you know where to look, and we have decided that The Peak District is one of the best. And all for free.Fantastic.

PS The food wasn't free.

It was pretty similar driving from the lakes to the dales . I took us as far as Ingleton then it was country lanes all the way to The Ribblehead viaduct and down to Malham, the bad part was the very low sun as I was driving out of the Dales making driving pretty hazardous.

unionflag Today, We passed an English Heritage place when out driving, though we couldn't see a free entry sign we ventured into the grounds as it was only £3.60 entry fee each anyway. The place was called Buildwas Abbey, very near to Much Wenlock. It was not the same as the Heritage advertising free entry.( i should have read the advertisement properly). Any way we enjoyed the visit and decided to join today, so we got a bargain!, It cost us £58 for two, senior citiizens passes, and we get 15months instead of 12months plus we were given our todays entry fee back for joining. So we are looking forward to some interesting days out.

I intended going there on the way home after our last camping trip, but it was closed.

We were also about to join the "English Heritage" too, but I realised we wont get much chance to use it over the next 15 months. So we're probably going to join next summer before we go on the Norfolk Broads. There are quite a few places within walking distance of the waterways.

:biggrin: Meant to get out on my bus pass today, being as it's 'Heritage Day'; but wind was too blustery for me, so I've been taking it easy watching my 'Goodfellas' CD.

Excellent film by Director: Martin Scorcese, wonderful 60's music, film coasts along, slickly directed - a favourite of mine. :biggrin:

#8 Beefsteak Check it out when you make a visit, we had our fee returned and for paying by direct debit, instead of 12 months we have 15 months. Best to find out if its an on going offer. :) Membership will allow you and up to six children under 19 free entry to properties with perhaps a nominal fee for special event days.That has to be good news if you have children. :)

Yes it was 15 months, it worked out at about 84 quid for us, which is not bad value at all, the problem being that now the kids are back at school and SWMBO working alternate weekends it limits the chances we have for getting away to visit them. (Especially as the weather is starting to get inclement again)

The next chance we have will be next June (On the Broads), as next years early break will be to foreign climes, so we as well take up the offer then, if it isn't still available at 15 months for the price of 12 we won't have lost anything as we wouldn't have had the chance to go between now and then, thus losing 9 months worth.

It is a good idea idea to wait until spring if you are limited with your freedom, we were going to do the same, but decided to give it a go now, as we are both retired we have a lot more free time (it took along time to get here, so we are making the best of it). The lady at the Abbey did explain that a lot of the properties would only open at week ends during winter months, but that's Ok for us, but as you say, no good for you, and you won't lose out by waiting.

Also with buying it in Spring gives us two full summers to use it (Always providing it lasts for 15 months!)