Big, fat, rose hips

Where I go to pick them (along with blackberries and elderberries) there are two different varieties. I don't know their names but there is a short fat fat variety and a longer slimmer sort. (please don't call them Morcambe and Wise).

They do look like Rosa Rugosa, I have them in my garden to feed the winter finches, we get get bramblings as well as the greenfinches and chaffinches. Quite often we've had northern bullfinches, and the occassional hawfinch. Crossbills and waxwings also like the rose hips. Siskins are uncommon as are redpolls, and goldfinch, just one in 20 years.

When my dad used to walk me along the canal at Wollaton to see my grandma in the early 60s, on seeing all the rose-hips growing along the banks he used to tell me about a government scheme whereby people could collect rose-hips and redeem them for cash (but not a lot of). I think it was either during the war or just before. The reason was because Rose-hips are so rich in vitamin C, they used to produce Rose-Hip Syrup to boost peoples resistance to colds and flu.

Had loads of siskins at my bird feeding station in Moffat earlier this year, along with redpolls and goldfinches, but then again we are further south,even had a nuthatch, though I only get goldfinches, chaffinches and greenfinches down in our lincs/Notts garden.

Will be looking out for the hips and haws when we are finally back home, though they generally need a good frost on them before using them. Have a brilliant book, The Hedgerow Handbook which has some great recipes for hedgerow harvestings.

used to love rose hip syrup as a kid sneak the bottle and take a swig when mum not looking we were surposed to have it in water to make it last longer.

• Upvote 1