Mobile internet on laptop

What is the best way to get mobile internet on a laptop? Wireless at home no problem but what if I want to go out with it?

I have never owned a laptop before and I am thinking of buying one. I have previously built computers for myself successfully so I will know what you are talking about (I think)

Depends on whether you want to pay, and how much.

Some internet service providers offer free WiFi as part of their monthly package, for example BT or Sky, which allows you to use the free WiFi offered in built-up areas or shops such as McDonald's.

If you want it 'on the move', then a wireless dongle and a mobile service subscription/PAYG can do that, such as is offered by Three, EE (Orange/T Mobile), O2, Vodafone, etc. Best shop around for the best deal in terms of how much free data is on offer.

A dongle is typically around 20 quid and sometimes come with a tenners worth of data (Usually one gig) that lasts for one month from the date you activate voucher (Note, not the purchase date) Different areas offer better coverage for different providers, as discussed on here recently.

It would be helpful if you could let us know how you go on.

He did say PAYG , that first link is to a contract, the second is just informing folks that their service is improving

He did say PAYG , that first link is to a contract, the second is just informing folks that their service is improving

Yes I did say PAYG. I wouldn't deal with 3 if they were the last company on the planet to deal with! Try closing an account with them - long after the end of the contract has ended. I am about to threaten legal action with them - I keep giving notice close the account but they just keep further demands for money. Just look at the many online reviews concerning them. I am by no means the only disgruntled customer. thumbsdown

A dongle is typically around 20 quid and sometimes come with a tenners worth of data (Usually one gig) that lasts for one month from the date you activate voucher (Note, not the purchase date) Different areas offer better coverage for different providers, as discussed on here recently.

It would be helpful if you could let us know how you go on.

I will let you know how I get on. The dongle isn't the important bit so that will happen later

Thats OK I am not getting at you. I appreciate the advice. Its just that 3 are an extremely sore point with me at the mo'. If you ever have occasion to have any dealings with them never take for red anything they say on the phone. They say whatever is necessary to make everything hunky dory, and say 'yes that payment has closed the account'. Then they send you another bill. So you ring them and they then deny that the previous conversation ever happened. This time they are getting a cheque and a letter in writing with a threat of legal proceedings, sent by recorded delivery. I have read many online reviews on various websites and I am by no means the first person who has had to go as far as threatening them with legal proceedings before they will close your account.

All of them are lying,cheating, robbing, barstewards ! Try changing accounts from any of them and the result is the same. (I just had similar problems changing from Vodaphone to Orange)

I even had problems with my PAYG 3 account when it wouldn't let me top up on line , so I had to phone them on my mobile which was on a different service provider, and it cost me a fortune (Around 8 quid!!) to top up a tenners worth of dongle credit !

Well while in Long Eaton today I nipped into Carphone Warehouse. Apparently the best mobile internet provider is 3. He explained that unlike any other mobile service 3 has 2 signals - one for phones and a separate one for internet which gives them the strongest signals.. They also have the best coverage. They are also the cheapest. I think I am just gunna to keep me desktop. Can yer make it battery powered as well as wireless so I can shove it round on a trolley?