Oldest Architecture in Nottingham?

http://s6.postimg.org/hmnsckdwx/20140125_134304.jpg

Not sure if it's true or not but I've read that this bit of window built for no apparent reason in a new wall on Broadway is the oldest piece of the old St Marys. I think I read it is from the 11th century.

Does anyone know? Sorry about the bad photo it was pretty gloomy when I took it on Saturday.

Doesn't answer your question but there is this from the Nottm Guardian of 28.01.1876 . It shows the money spent on various church restorations (after 1840) . Maybe of use to someone someday !

As you see the church went through a major restoration in 1858 and 1874

12160916625_887c199f81_c.jpg

I've come across this before, but thought I'd read it was part of the chapel that was built on top of the first stone Trent Bridge. May be wrong though if the old memory cells aren't in gear.Certainly very old and I've not seen a picture before.

Bit weird where it is, but it's nice someone had the forethought to save it for posterity by mounting it somewhere permanent.

Those arches are the remains of the previous bridge...the chapel was many hundreds of years before and no one knows if the bridge was in fact built in exactly the same position.

The following is the reason I thought those windows originally came from the bridge...

"This bridge remained in use until it was replaced by Henry II. sometime about the year 1156. Henry's bridge was indeed of importance. It was called the Heth Beth Bridge, which probably means the bridge by the "hythe" or "wharf" near the "beth," "wath," or "ford" and it bore upon one of its many arches a chapel dedicated to St. Mary which was endowed to support two chaplains and in which marriages might be solemnised. These chapels upon bridges were quite common during the middle ages, in fact bridges as well as roads were intimately associated with religious matters the repair and upkeep of both roads and bridges being regarded as a sacred duty. We have a record of a grant being made to this chapel early in the 14th century, by John Le Paumer and Alice his wife of the sum of £6 13s. 5d. to a chaplain to celebrate Masses for their souls "in the Chapel of St. Mary upon Heth Beth Bridge." A fragment of the tracery of one of the windows of this chapel was discovered in the bed of the Trent in 1826 and is now preserved in the apartment of the Thoroton Society" (Nottinghamshire History Thoroton Society)