Archaeology weekend in Caithness:

This weekend there was an archaeological festival in Caithness. It was, as usual for up here, poorly promoted and even more poorly signposted but a number of people did manage to find it. Here are a few photos of the kind of stuff on show. In addition to artefacts there were talks, demonstrations and guided walks around one of the most concentrated archaeological areas in the UK.

Lots of photos here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/paul.simonite/ArchaeologyFestival?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPexgLj2xeS2yAE&feat=directlink

Sample picture:

IMG_3842.JPG

• Upvote 3

I wonder if this should have been put under "How's Your Day" thread...Mick?

Compo #2

Very interesting,I love this sort of thing.

When I was a kid we used to play on allotments at the backs of our old houses(mentioned in another post)

We were always finding clay pipes,some all intact,I was told they came from fairgrounds ,but I still don't really know what they were for,but I wonder why we kept digging them up on the allotments?would love to know what was there before.There is a school built there now(Carlton central school)so I can't really go digging there.When the old houses were being demolished all sorts of things were found,wells,old ornaments of crinoline ladies,bones of god knows what or who,bits of pottery.

The country is full of archaeology, problem is finding the space to examine and classify it. It is easy up here because there are few houses etc.. Not so in the more built up areas like Nottingham though. Here's an example of a 12th century Viking castle:

As it is now:

IMG_3981.JPG

And as it was in 1160:

IMG_3978.JPG

• Upvote 5

#1 #4 I love the photos Compo. We have spent a number of holidays exploring Shetland and Orkney and visiting the amazing sites there. We were in Shetland when they were excavating Old Scatness Broch and it was so interesting to go up on the walkways and watch. I have lots of photos and I do need to work out how to post photos on this site. Your photos make me want to visit Wick again. The last time I was in Wick was in the 1960s on holiday with my parents. We visited the Caithness Glass factory. I still have the things we bought there.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...