Interesting programme about subterranean Britain on Channel 5 yesterday.

They did a segment on 'Mortimer's Hole' - a passage carved out of the sandstone that goes quite a long way from below, right into the heart of Nottingham Castle.

Recently they have found another tunnel that went from The Park into the Castle which they now think was probably not known about by the inhabitants at the time and so was probably the one they used to get in and kidnap Roger de Mortimer.

I wish they'd made more of the story and that they used more of the imaging techniques to show the layout. There's a great device made by Leica that scans areas and displays a 3d images.

Doing a survey of Nottingham's caves in that way would make a fascinating series.

• Upvote 5

A very interesting programme but I thought that they could have spent the whole hour on the caves under the castle. The new tunnel they have found is a better fit to the historical record. In about 1959 my dad took me on a trip down Mortimer's hole and I recall a part of it where you had to almost crawl through the tunnel. In 1998 when I took our son on the trip we were not taken through that bit and more of the tunnel had been opened up.

I can't remember any programme doing a really thorough investigation into the various caves and tunnels around Nottingham.

It would make fantastic viewing.

Especially with all the new technology available now to show the intracacy and ingenuity of how they managed to build these things.

It's also valuable from the point of view of cataloguing who built these things and why.

On that Channel 5 programme one guy made a very important point about when things are covered up and forgotten. Within a generation nobody knows anything about them if they haven't been recorded for posterity.

There's a quite a few places in Nottingham that are complete mysteries in terms of when they were done and for what purpose.

• 1 month later...