Haunted buildings in Nottingham

Anyone remember the haunting of a house in the Mapperley area in the early 70's..all the pots and pans were sucked out the kitchen window when a Priest performed an exorcism... all started "allegedly" by the finding and disguarding of some WW1 letters.

Right long story short.

The doubting Thomas's and fact freaks..this is only reportage from my Mother!!

In the 1970's we inherited 4 big cats..all newted and healthy, one by one they came each night and slept on an old duffel coat..we fed them sardines etc.. as we hadn't any cats of our own.

My Mum was worried and put a note in G.Tolleys beer- off window.

The owner came round and told my Mum that she and her Husband were 

Splitting up( she was going to Rise Park). The cats must have sensed an imminent move and picked us!!

Anyroad my Mum asked the lady why these cats 'stare' at our ceiling like there is something there?

She went to say that previously they lived in Mapperley (?) and they had terrible trouble.

The son was not eating and bunking off school.

Some WW1 letters were found up a chimney when a new Robinson Willey was being fitted..they were chucked!

Next morning the wallpaper in the sitting room was all charred- save for a crucifix.

After many months of suffering the boy was seen by a Trick Cyclist who divulged that just a "Head" visited his bedroom each night. These four cats fur often stood on end..she went on to explain.

Eventually a Priest performed an exorcism on the house..whereupon all the pans and crockery were sucked out into a tree in the garden!

The cats were very special: Spotty/Pudding/Candy and King.

They often 'saw' things in our house..previously Mr.and Mrs.Commons lived at 97,Grindon and the wife " supped outside the bucket" whilst her hubby did his patriotic chore in WW2- particularly with the GI variety... and some big fight took place ...involving some considerable local attention!

Make of it what you will..apparently the exorcism was covered by media.

Discuss.

Thought Ian might like this true story which happened to my father's cousin, Jean, in the late 1940s. She told me the tale herself and is still alive, now well into her 90s.

As a young mother, she lived with her husband in a house on Alfreton Road in Nottingham. The house is still there and for many years was next door to a fish and chip shop which was on the corner of the main Alfreton Road and one of the side streets.

The house belonged to Jean's own mother, my great aunt, who was a widow and, like many young couples in the late 1940s and early fifties, they were living with the older generation while they saved up a deposit to buy their own house.

The house had three storeys, so there was plenty of room for my widowed great aunt, her daughter and son-in-law and their new baby.

When the baby was only a few months old, there was one particular night when she was teething and would not go to sleep. Jean and her husband tried everything they could think of to pacify their young daughter but nothing worked and she continued to scream and cry. Jean's husband had to be up for work very early the next morning and Jean was concerned that he would be very tired through lack of sleep. Hearing her grand daughter constantly crying, my great aunt eventually came and took the young baby back to her own room in a bid to let Jean and her husband get some sleep but, after half an hour or so, the child was still screaming and crying and Jean's husband felt that it wasn't fair on my great aunt and said he would go and bring the baby back to their room and it was while he was out of the bedroom, that Jean had the following very strange experience.

As she lay in bed, Jean noticed up near the ceiling in the corner of the room, a small, spherical ball of bright blue light. As it hadn't been there previously, Jean was puzzled as to where it had come from and what it was. She watched the ball of light as it began to move and it came down from the ceiling, floating across the room towards her. Roughly halfway across the room, the ball of light floated over to the baby's empty cot which was placed under the window and hovered above it for a couple of minutes. It then began to travel once more towards Jean who, by now, was very frightened. After what seemed like an age, Jean's husband returned to the bedroom with his daughter and as he did so, the ball of light vanished. He saw nothing but after his wife told him of her experience, he moved the cot away from the window and placed it on the other side of the room.

The child seemed fine after that. There were no more sleepless nights nor any further sightings of the strange ball of light. Jean was the sole witness but felt the experience was not caused by lack of sleep. No explanation was ever forthcoming!

• Upvote 1

When my lad now 42 was a toddler he was put to bed at his bedtime 6-7pm. Quite often he would shout & scream when his mum went to see to him he maintained that an old woman frightened him & would smack him.

One day my ex was brushing the stairs & my lad said to her, "mam move over & let that lady pass you ! She wasn't hanging around.

Nowadays my lad still remembers everything about the old lady to the last detail. Living in an old house where I don't know the history of it. I would love to know the previous occupants.

Mrs C & I also my daughter before she got married have never seen anything strange !

• Upvote 1

Great post Jill thanks, will we ever know for real?..though I do believe people see something. What I didn't appreciate was in 1981?..anyway the replay between Man City and Spurs cup final,at the time I was staying in the Flat above The Camelot Club ( Hippo)..got up to make a brew ..came back..my specs had been squeezed into a ball!!..didn't sit on them..as they would be bent etc..a tight ball!..cost me another pair at Lancaster & Thorpe!

Dave Watson's late Brother Jeff was the only other bloke besides me who would enter the club in the dark..saw a few spirits..Jack Daniels/Smirnoff...

I remember the Camelot Club. Had my 21st birthday celebrations there!

Maybe whatever mangled your gig lamps thought they were those indestructible ones you can bend and squash but which spring back into shape! ;)

The lady I saw twice...turned out to be a fella with his hair down- wearing a burial gown...this was according to the research crowd that came down.

Jill,I could have been there that night..I worked at Mr.Millers too. Great club!

We do have other stories of the inexplicable kind in my family.

My grandfather, Ernest Edwin Sparrow was taken under the wing of John Samuel Hudson, my great grandfather, after WW1, as his adoptive parents had died while he was in the Army. John Samuel was a very talented lace designer and taught my grandfather, whose daughter he married, the trade of lacemaking after which Edwin became a twisthand in Beeston where they all lived.

John Samuel was a bit of a split personality. Very talented but with a dissolute side and a hair trigger temper which meant that most people, including Edwin, were afraid of him.

After John Samuel died in 1934, Edwin was at work but found that his Leivers lace machine was not producing the correct pattern. He checked the set up but could find nothing wrong, yet still the pattern was incorrect. After doing this several times, to no effect, he was horrified to see his deceased father in law standing by the machine, glaring at him and pointing to a particular section of the mechanics. Edwin, scared witless, stared helplessly until the figure faded away and then checked the place John Samuel had indicated. Sure enough, there was an error in the setting up which he had not previously detected. After he corrected it, the lace pattern was perfect. However, Edwin, badly shaken up by the experience, had to go home, even though it meant losing a day's pay! He swore on oath that this actually happened and never forgot it.

Story not about Nottingham or even a strange happening but something extraordinary.

In 1981 we lost a neice through a car accident. Some years later my husband had a strange dream. He dreamt that Ingrid had come to him to show him where she lived. It was in a beautiful valley and she slept in the base of an old tree. My husband told her to find somewhere more comfortable but she said she was happy there but sad because Zio Fernando kept disturbing her. She wanted to stay in peace and didn't want any visitors. Tell everyone that I'm alright and happy.

My husband shot out of bed really agitated and told me about the dream. Then I realised that it was the anniversary of her death. 

He had never dreamt of her and since that day never dreamt of her again.

I might add that my husband never remembers dates so it wasnt triggered by remembering.

For some years, I owned an old house in Brinsley and a number of things happened there which could not be explained.

I often sat in the front sitting room in the evening, marking books. I was teaching at this time. Frequently, I heard footsteps crossing the room above, which was my bedroom. I'd creep quietly upstairs and check the room. It was always empty. Nothing out of place. Returning to my books, within minutes it would start again. I learned to ignore it!

When I first moved in, I'd had a lovely hot soak in the tub one evening after work and, snuggled in my dressing gown, went downstairs. As it was dusk, I thought I'd draw the sitting room curtains. As I walked across the room, thinking of nothing in particular, a black cat rubbed against my legs, its tail up in greeting. Automatically, I reached down to stroke it but there was nothing there. I suddenly realised what I'd done. I didn't have a cat at the time but the previous owners of the house kept a black cat. I later discovered that it had been run over a few weeks before they moved out, a fact not known by me at the time.

The real puzzle occurred when my father stayed in the house on his own during a June half term break whilst my mother and I went to stay with friends in Yorkshire. He awoke in the early hours of the morning to see an elderly woman standing by the bedroom window. As he watched, she passed along the side of the bed...he said she appeared to glide rather than walk....and through the bedroom door, which was closed.

My father wondered whether, for some reason, my mother and I had come home. He got up and checked my room, which was empty. My car was not outside.

Puzzled, he checked every room in the house, even in the airing cupboard, but found no one. He was not a man who believed in the paranormal and it was weeks before he told me about his experience. My mother said he was dreaming but he insisted he wasn't.

Some weeks later, I ran into the former owner of the house and related dad's experience to her. She wasn't at all surprised and admitted that she and her husband had also encountered a very pleasant elderly lady around the place, together with a host of inexplicable events, as had the owners who preceded them! They hadn't told me about these things as they thought I might be frightened and pull out of the purchase.

It didn't bother me at all. Whoever she was, the atmosphere was always very pleasant there.

My paternal grandmother was given to "seeing things". I see and sense things myself at times. Always have done. It doesn't worry me and certainly doesn't frighten me. Grandma always said it made more sense to fear the living as they would do you more harm than the dead. Neither she nor I believed in death anyway. If people told her they were scared of dying she would ask if they'd been scared of being born. They usually looked puzzled and said they couldn't remember, to which she'd reply, "Well, there's your answer then!"

• Upvote 1

As regards the Camelot/Hippo ghost,the research people traced a murder back to 1600 something... a game of cards turned nasty and two men threw a man down a dry well, below the building- below Bridlesmith Gate.

Apparently it took him several days to perish!!

When my Brother worked in the Hippo in the late 60's he reported a few things..but in 1980 I started at The Camelot and was not put off by rumours...Tuppence the club cat ..his fur often looked like he was plugged into an electrical socket! One Xmas a party of people were due for a meal from a Talbot car dealers in Mansfield.. early doors the waiter and i were sorting the tables when a 'lady' in a white ball gown appeared.. I said hello and suggested 'she' go over to the Bench & Bar as it was very early.

I then challenged the waiter in the kitchen for leaving the street door open...we both went out to the restaurant area..guess what?.. no person- street door bolted from inside..the fire exits/push bars all closed. we both searched and found zilch!

Anyway the new boss Nick Simms told me when I had left... that the lady was actually a man 'set' for burial.. hair down an all!

What I thought was a cheeky Laura Ashley number turned out to be a burial shroud!

I find these things occur when people are doing mundane, routine tasks and their minds are just drifting, not engaged in thinking about anything in particular. I'm also certain that there's a logical, scientifically measurable explanation for these experiences. It's just that we don't know what it is. Although we like to think we know it all, we don't really know anything. We're just snotty-nosed kids, as my daddy would have said!

Nah then Catfan!...that quip on the menu board cost me my job..sacked on the spot...went to Jaceys just down the road..got drunk... into the Curry and grill.

Back in Commercial Road Job Center the next morning... despatched to Gerrards... nuff said.

The Beehive was it?..bleddy veg dump..and chattie beyond words..even the dustbins had ulcers!