Trent water quality?

I remember how dirty the Trent was almost 80 years ago as a toddler when I jumped in at Colwick . I continued to swim in the Trent well into my teens and how dark it was when only inches below the surface. In the 70's the clarity improved and the fishing became exceptionally good. In the 80's some anglers were bemoaning that the water was TOO clear and that the fish were hader to catch! (silly men!) Now we have a river that looks nice and clean, BUT is it of good quality? I have lived further up river in Staffordshire for 50 years and witnessed several pollution incidents that wiped out the fish. A better water treatment plant was built and there have been no major incidents since (tributaries yes, but not the main river). In spite of the water looking cleaner the aquatic life has definitely changed and I worry about the 'invisible' pollution that is taking place.

The dirt and effluent of the old days didn't kill me, but how is the current toxic cocktail of chemicals and plastics affecting us?? After a bit of filtration of the larger particles we drink this stuff.......

Back in the sixties we regularly swam across to Hazleford Island from near the Star and Garter, the water was reasonably clear but definitely had a smell of detergent that foamed up at the weir.

Most of the time fishing only ever caught, roach, and gudgeon, occasionally the odd rudd, perch and once a pike.