John Bird RIP

Bulwell born and went to High Pavement. 

A great satirist, comic and actor.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Found the Nottstalgia forums by accident recently when looking for old Radford maps as part of an Ancestry exercise. Spent the last few days reading the many contributions. This has brought back so many memories. 

I was at High Pavement from 1953 to 1958.

DJ360 mentions John Birds death late last year. Not only did we lose John but also Peter Bowles last March. I remember those two well, entertaining us on the coach to 

away matches at Southwell, Grantham, Newark etc. When we played away it was usually the 1st or 2nd fifteen and one of the younger year teams. They were 4 years older than me and played for the 1st or 2nd fifteen. They could do the Goon Show scripts in detail, lots of other popular radio comedies episodes but the Shakespeare did not go down very well !! Henry V and all that.

Mentioning Henry V reminded me of a School visit to see this production at the old Nottingham Playhouse. This was one of the plays for our 'O' Level English Literature exams. This was a couple of years after Peter Bowles left HP and he was one of the cast. Science 4B were sat about two rows from the stage and Peter died at Agincourt immediately in front of us. After a few seconds the first piece of chewing gum hit his armour. This released a torrent of small objects and paper balls at him. He was the only soldier to die at Agincourt with a huge grin on his face. When Taff Davies heard about it there were consequences. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, RadfordProud said:

I was at High Pavement from 1953 to 1958.

DJ360 mentions John Birds death late last year. Not only did we lose John but also Peter Bowles last March.

Welcome to Nottstalgia RadfordProud, that's a great story.

There was a thread here about Peter Bowles when he died last year. If you haven't found it, here's a link........... 

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/21785-peter-bowles/?tab=comments#comment-682742

I have an old copy of Nottingham Bygones in which is a pic of John Bird and Peter Bowles during a school production of Julius Ceasar. I'll try to put it up here later.