Supermarkets - Aldi, Tesco, Morrisons, Waitrose, etc

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2023 at 12:18 AM, philmayfield said:

Lidl croissants are better than Waitrose.

Aldi has emerged as the cheapest supermarket for 30 low-cost grocery items in a weekly shop. All totals in pounds as I can't find a Pound symbol on this site?

Aldi 33.25

Tesco 33.47

Sainsburys 33.59

Asda 33.65

Morrisons 37.11

Ocado? 46.74

43 Item Basket 

Aldi 74.83

Lidl 76.74

Asda 84.21

Tesco 84.86

Morrisons 87.24

Ocado 89.28

Waitrose 94.94

131 item basket

Asda 326.77

Morrisons 336.41

Ocado 346.23

Tesco 349.34

Sainsburys 354.06

Waitrose 367.79

If you are shopping at Waitrose your wallet will be taking a hammering compared to others.

We don’t stick to one supermarket. All are over 10 miles away. Morrisons and Sainsburys at Netherfield, Lidl at Bingham and Waitrose or M & S at Newark. All have their merits for specific items. We shop regularly, not one big weekly shop. Waitrose has gone down the pan since they appointed Sharon White to lead the group but fortunately she’s going soon. M & S is excellent, Morrisons has the best fish and meat counters and Sainsbury’s next door doesn’t seem to attract the obese plebs that go to Morrisons!

Until we moved to Nottingham I would never shop anywhere other than Waitrose.  There was one right next to our boys school so I dropped them off and I’d finished my shopping by 9am.  There was a ‘rough’ Tesco in the town that I only went into if it was really necessary.  Coming up here I didn’t know how I’d cope without Waitrose but I certainly wasn’t prepared to drive to the nearest one in Newark.  I soon got used to Sainsburys in Arnold but now I use Tesco at Top Valley as well, depending on which way the car decides to go.  The shorter trip the better as far as food shopping is concerned so Asda at WB or the Sainsburys and Morrisons at Netherfield are too far away to bother.  We have the benefit of our local Lidl and Co-op for milk and bread but they don’t sell items I buy on a ‘proper’ shop, they’re only good for a ‘dolly shop’! 

They’re all pretty much the same when it boils down but Waitrose used to have the ‘edge’ which it no longer does. M & S Food in Newark has only been open for just over a year and it’s far better than Waitrose. 

• Like 1