Railways and City Centre video - 1960s.

One of the best Nottingham videos I've come across. It concentrates on steam trains, but don't let that frighten you off. There's a lot of material showing the area around the railways.....eg sequences at Bulwell Common.

The first 3 mins are Nottm city centre - and it's worth watching for that alone.........then 10 mins at Victoria Stn.......then Bulwell, and then in no particular order, Hucknall, Basford, Netherfield/Colwick, Kimberley, Linby, and all points north.

Sometimes it gets a bit boring, but you just fast-forward for a few  minutes and get back to something interesting.

At about 37 mins it returns to Nottingham, including the Castle in the background. Then several minutes at Derby; then back to Bulwell for a while around 55.

• Like 4

Tried to watch the above post CT, but was put off by the annoying generator or machine gun soundtrack. I realise it's probably supposed to be a soundtrack of a cine projector, but so not neccesary. Think I'll watch it and put my background effects on it.

What a brilliant piece of 'Nostalga' Kev.............I was born and brought up less than 100 yards from where some of it was filmed................can still hear the rattle of Coal trucks that went thru the night and the Whistle of the Engines...recognised many of the places.........Its a wonder i didnt see my Dad and both Granddads who were working all around the places filmed.......

Even the drivers and firemen i would have known from my days serving them behind the Bar at the Railway club..in the 60s....which was situated almost under Bulwell Viaduct........

Is it just me that really loves this type of thing..?.....but it makes me sad at the same time.........God bless all the long gone old Railway men.......:mellow:

• Like 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Railways and City Centre video - 1960s.
19 hours ago, Beekay said:

but was put off by the annoying generator or machine gun soundtrack.

I agree the sound effect is really annoying - and too loud. When I watched the whole thing a second time, I muted the video and played music of my choice.

19 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Even the drivers and firemen i would have known from my days serving them behind the Bar at the Railway club..in the 60s....which was situated almost under Bulwell Viaduct........                

The sequence at Bulwell which starts at 12.40 and runs for several minutes is fascinating, even though I didn’t know Bulwell in those days. I recognised the Level Crossing at St albans’ Road at around 13.40, and the Viaduct from various angles, and I believe the Railway Club building is still there today ... this place..... https://maps.app.goo.gl/5PCpx5tRZBTpHWqn6

• Like 1

Yes Kev Railway club still standing.....called summat else now.......

The place holds too many memories for me.to ever visit again.......memories such as.....

Working behind the Bar....with some great people...

First wedding reception....

About 20 of my family were members....met up most sat nights.....

Oh yea..nearly forgot

Played football for them for 3 or 4 years....Also great place for Dancing sat nights to many local Artist's...among them Reg Guest trio.....anyone remember them?

The place began in the late 50s...and my railway Dad and Granddads were among the original members....

Reg-Guest-Trio-card-1.jpg?resize=509%2C416&ssl=1A good piece about the trio....if you google them..........

• Like 1